Time to Move to XP???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by sammy5gs, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sammy5gs

sammy5gs Ignorance Defined

Hey All...

I have been a steady user of Windows 2000 Professional (SP4) for the last year or so, and have enjoyed great stability and performance. But I have been itching to make the move to Windows XP Home (or Professional). The reason why I haven't yet is due to the bloated services in Windows XP, but I do not want to be caught behind the 8-ball with M$oft stops supporting Windows 2000 ala Windows 95/98/98SE/ME this year.

Can you guys either a) reassure me that the move to Windows XP make sense, or b) snap some reality back in my head, as Win2kPro is solid as they come.

I do everything on my rig - gaming, web browsing, office apps, etc, etc, etc.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think you should stay with your 2000.

same kernal

wait till ms actually stops support, or longhorn comes out

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

The only real difference I've seen is the teletubby theme, I wouldn't say XP's services are really noticeably more bloated than 2000's though.

I also wouldn't buy XP Home.

4. sammy5gs

sammy5gs Ignorance Defined

Longhorn is scheduled to come out first quarter 2004, right?

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

M$ says 2005, there should be some beta releases in 2004. I've seen most realists predict 2006 though.

6. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

2005 - 2006. then if you want the new server version, itll be out about a year later. :(

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Stick with Win2k since you've gone all the way from SP1 to SP4 already.
    If you are eager to upgrade to another version, then I'd suggest you wait for Longhorn to come out. Win XP won't have many benefits for you except for compatibility with some games and drivers.

Longhorn... most probably out towards the end of 2005 at the earliest.

8. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

This is not like a marriage or a binding no return decision =) get a spare hd, install xp pro on it and give her a whirl. XP is stable enough for me and supports a majority of the software out there. The ability to change visual styles is really 80% of my enjoyment of this OS.

9. koko

koko Got Root?

i strongly suggest win xp pro. it's super stable and i have had zero probs with games.

10. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Upgrade not worth the money.