Time to Move to XP???

sammy5gs

Ignorance Defined
Hey All...

I have been a steady user of Windows 2000 Professional (SP4) for the last year or so, and have enjoyed great stability and performance. But I have been itching to make the move to Windows XP Home (or Professional). The reason why I haven't yet is due to the bloated services in Windows XP, but I do not want to be caught behind the 8-ball with M$oft stops supporting Windows 2000 ala Windows 95/98/98SE/ME this year.

Can you guys either a) reassure me that the move to Windows XP make sense, or b) snap some reality back in my head, as Win2kPro is solid as they come.

I do everything on my rig - gaming, web browsing, office apps, etc, etc, etc.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

I think you should stay with your 2000.

same kernal

wait till ms actually stops support, or longhorn comes out

The only real difference I've seen is the teletubby theme, I wouldn't say XP's services are really noticeably more bloated than 2000's though.

I also wouldn't buy XP Home.

Originally posted by dealer
I think you should stay with your 2000.

same kernal

wait till ms actually stops support, or longhorn comes out

Longhorn is scheduled to come out first quarter 2004, right?

M$ says 2005, there should be some beta releases in 2004. I've seen most realists predict 2006 though.

2005 - 2006. then if you want the new server version, itll be out about a year later. :(

Stick with Win2k since you've gone all the way from SP1 to SP4 already.
If you are eager to upgrade to another version, then I'd suggest you wait for Longhorn to come out. Win XP won't have many benefits for you except for compatibility with some games and drivers.

Longhorn... most probably out towards the end of 2005 at the earliest.

This is not like a marriage or a binding no return decision =) get a spare hd, install xp pro on it and give her a whirl. XP is stable enough for me and supports a majority of the software out there. The ability to change visual styles is really 80% of my enjoyment of this OS.

i strongly suggest win xp pro. it's super stable and i have had zero probs with games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back