Time for AMD to DIE!!!

L

leebobs

I can sense this topic will make many people around the word Angry !!!

And to start I would like to say that I have used ONLY AMD processors since I started building computers on my 12th Birthday some 7 years ago. I dislike Intel, I have always though of them as poor value for money for the performance you get.
E.G....
AMD 2200+ = £69
INTEL P4 2Ghz = £150
Same performance, massive price difference. What?!?!

Anyway, AMD are waiting for the Athlon 64 which has now been delayed till September.... It was meant to be released last year!! AMD are blaming Microsoft for not releasing a compatible 64Bit OS. SO WHAT?!? AMD use an extension to the x86 CPU core, it can run current 32Bit software faster than the Athlon XP!!!
The motherboards are ready, the users are ready they have even produced Linux for the CPU release it all ready.

But no they release the Barton core instead. Well that would be fine if it offered any advantages over the Thoroughbred but it doesn’t. All of the benchmarks they use to test the Athlon XP were created when it was first released (Photoshop 5.5?!?). And that’s it… no more 32Bit improvements planned. No more R&D, no future.
Why didn’t AMD bite the bullet, say ok 64bit isn’t ready and to be honest most consumers won’t go on to it for a year or two anyway so lets improve the 32bit chipset and extend its life for a bit. Some of the possible improvements include:

Increasing the FSB to 400Mhz

Adding SSE2 Support

Creating further code extensions for applications DirectX9 and DivX to increase the CPU’s speed at performing everyday tasks without needing more Mhz to perform the tasks faster (Just look at the GPU revolution).

Adding a heat spreader so higher speeds are achievable

Looking into future DDR2 support

No AMD bottled it, Intel have the right Idea with the Prescott core, and while AMD drown after the 64Bit boat sinks in the harbour. Intel will continue selling CPU’s at extortionate prices, but at least they will be fast.

I say long live Intel and their R&D, goodbye AMD. Let us hope a CPU manufacturer with more Balls rises out of your ashes. Oh look, the repo man is here…

Originally posted by leebobs
I say long live Intel and their R&D, goodbye AMD. Let us hope a CPU manufacturer with more Balls rises out of your ashes. Oh look, the repo man is here…

That's one opinion. :huh:

Without AMD .... we would be at the mercy of INTEL and would be paying a whole lot more for our CPU's thanks to AMD over the last lets say 7 years ... we have had at least a choice in a good CPU at a resonable price

If it weren't for AMD, we would still be dealing with crap chips like the Pentium II series. Intel was in no rush to make fast processors.

Melon

i agree with some of the things said, but keep in mind that AMD can not influence the markets the way that intel can. AMD is now a powerhitter in the market that intel is. i understand the delays, but what i do not like was the huge paper launch of the 2800+, i can not find them anywhere (i can now, but not two weeks ago) and was disapointed to see that happen.

i feel that AMD will come back hard, just give them 1 more year, if they don't, bye bye.

Originally posted by leebobs
I can sense this topic will make many people around the word Angry !!!

And to start I would like to say that I have used ONLY AMD processors since I started building computers on my 12th Birthday some 7 years ago. I dislike Intel, I have always though of them as poor value for money for the performance you get.
E.G....
AMD 2200+ = £69
INTEL P4 2Ghz = £150
Same performance, massive price difference. What?!?!

Anyway, AMD are waiting for the Athlon 64 which has now been delayed till September.... It was meant to be released last year!! AMD are blaming Microsoft for not releasing a compatible 64Bit OS. SO WHAT?!? AMD use an extension to the x86 CPU core, it can run current 32Bit software faster than the Athlon XP!!!
The motherboards are ready, the users are ready they have even produced Linux for the CPU release it all ready.

But no they release the Barton core instead. Well that would be fine if it offered any advantages over the Thoroughbred but it doesn’t. All of the benchmarks they use to test the Athlon XP were created when it was first released (Photoshop 5.5?!?). And that’s it… no more 32Bit improvements planned. No more R&D, no future.
Why didn’t AMD bite the bullet, say ok 64bit isn’t ready and to be honest most consumers won’t go on to it for a year or two anyway so lets improve the 32bit chipset and extend its life for a bit. Some of the possible improvements include:

Increasing the FSB to 400Mhz

Adding SSE2 Support

Creating further code extensions for applications DirectX9 and DivX to increase the CPU’s speed at performing everyday tasks without needing more Mhz to perform the tasks faster (Just look at the GPU revolution).

Adding a heat spreader so higher speeds are achievable

Looking into future DDR2 support

No AMD bottled it, Intel have the right Idea with the Prescott core, and while AMD drown after the 64Bit boat sinks in the harbour. Intel will continue selling CPU’s at extortionate prices, but at least they will be fast.

you DO realise that amd has delayed their processor for reasons OTHER than m$ ? :)

it is all abut architecture.... not for nothing are all the OEMS and large companies around the world (yes... even dell) interested in buying the new iteration of amd's processor... in effect its on die memory controller eliminates most of the current bottlenecks in systems = more performance... by a LARGE margin...

400mhz fsb is nothing new... it will be introduced in the next barton running @ 3200+ rating and probably around the 2.17-ish clock speed range...

in terms of raw architecture amd is superior to intel... able to produce on par performance for a much lesser clock speed..

also understand IF amd was to die :) that intel processor price you had listed would more than likely reach over 200 pounds ...

competition drives performance/price in opposite directions and I for one am more than happy to feast on the returns :)

intels next big thing is likely to be the prestonia processor :)

Both companies keep on going because they are in competition with each other. If one went bankrupt, the other would put sky-high prices, and produce faster processors less slowly, because they know that people can't buy any other processors anyway!

Re: Re: Time for AMD to DIE!!!

Originally posted by Sazar
400mhz fsb is nothing new... it will be introduced in the next barton running @ 3200+ rating and probably around the 2.17-ish clock speed range...

in terms of raw architecture amd is superior to intel... able to produce on par performance for a much lesser clock speed..

That is what is really cool! My nForce2 board supposedly supports up to ~2.8 GHz, and the sheer fact that AMD is making faster processors with lower GHz means that my board will likely have a long life.

You certainly can't say the same for Intel.

Melon

Yes, competition is a good thing!

As to the SSE2 support: Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think AMD does not support this because of patents. Intel has the patent on SSE2 and until it expires, AMD cannot support it. Kinda like the older SSE: For a long time AMD did not support it, but now they do (don't know exactly when this changed) presumably because the patent has expired.

As to some of your other questions/concerns:
I think AMD's current architecture is "old". While it is more efficient than Intel, its speed does not scale as high as Intel's. Now, they are making small core modifications (if you consider doubling the cache small :)) to squeeze a bit more speed out of their chips to keep up, but I still think the 64bit Hammer will help them. Hopefully, they will have redesigned the architecture with a lot of future upgrading (and Intel) in mind. Maybe they simply don't want a hyped-up release flop like some other recent item I won't name. :rolleyes:

I do agree with your heat spreader point, which I believe again will be resolved with the Hammer.

Different memory support is up to the memory controller, usually located in the North Bridge chip. Hopefully the Hammer will NOT have an integrated memory controller like I originally heard. All AMD needs to do is up the FSB and let chipset makers worry about the controller. Then DDR2,3+ support will be the chipset makers' responsibility.

Intel has way more dollars to spend on R&D, marketing, etc than AMD. So while Intel can simply throw money at a problem, AMD has to rely on intelligent designs instead. ;)

At any rate, we all benefit from the CPU battle. If Intel didn't have such stiff competition from AMD, then they wouldn't worry about trying to make faster chips as fast. Because faster chips are released so fast, "old" ones drop in price. I won't argue with that. :)

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Yes, competition is a good thing!

As to the SSE2 support: Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think AMD does not support this because of patents. Intel has the patent on SSE2 and until it expires, AMD cannot support it. Kinda like the older SSE: For a long time AMD did not support it, but now they do (don't know exactly when this changed) presumably because the patent has expired.

As to some of your other questions/concerns:
I think AMD's current architecture is "old". While it is more efficient than Intel, its speed does not scale as high as Intel's. Now, they are making small core modifications (if you consider doubling the cache small :)) to squeeze a bit more speed out of their chips to keep up, but I still think the 64bit Hammer will help them. Hopefully, they will have redesigned the architecture with a lot of future upgrading (and Intel) in mind. Maybe they simply don't want a hyped-up release flop like some other recent item I won't name. :rolleyes:

I do agree with your heat spreader point, which I believe again will be resolved with the Hammer.

Different memory support is up to the memory controller, usually located in the North Bridge chip. Hopefully the Hammer will NOT have an integrated memory controller like I originally heard. All AMD needs to do is up the FSB and let chipset makers worry about the controller. Then DDR2,3+ support will be the chipset makers' responsibility.

Intel has way more dollars to spend on R&D, marketing, etc than AMD. So while Intel can simply throw money at a problem, AMD has to rely on intelligent designs instead. ;)

At any rate, we all benefit from the CPU battle. If Intel didn't have such stiff competition from AMD, then they wouldn't worry about trying to make faster chips as fast. Because faster chips are released so fast, "old" ones drop in price. I won't argue with that. :)

I think an on die memory controller is a very good thing for a number of reasons... MAINLY because of the ability to cut down many bottlenecks that exist currently... namely in the "talk" between cpu and memory controller... meaning you have even more efficient processing...

yes there are a few drawbacks such as changing of the standard to support ddr400 and so on and so forth but HOPEFULLY amd has been able to in the time frame that the processor has been delayed... come up with a solution that allows for transition of the on-die memory controller easily...

concerning scaling up to the 2.8+ghz thinger for melon :) I dunno if your mobo can utilise the new hammer processors :) .. the pin count is different... though a 400mhz clock barton 3200+ should be just fine..

Originally posted by Sazar
concerning scaling up to the 2.8+ghz thinger for melon :) I dunno if your mobo can utilise the new hammer processors :) .. the pin count is different... though a 400mhz clock barton 3200+ should be just fine..

No...I was referring to the Socket A Barton chips. I'm not expecting a hammer chip on mine...lol.

Melon

both intel and amd can goto hell if they put palladium on their chips

Originally posted by Majin

Precisely.

Melon

Originally posted by Majin

and the answer: Moterola CPUs :p

Originally posted by mbunny
When that happens its time to go Mac =)

when the good ones drop below ~$2500, then i will look into em. i swear if OSX went x86 they would make a killing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back