Time/Date resetting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ray_gillespie, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

My uncle has a computer that's about 18 months old, and there is a problem with his time and date. Every few days it resets itself to January 2003, and he gets problems with certificates because his computer thinks the certificates aren't yet valid, and also all his fax logs are messed up.
    Is this his CMOS battery failing? If so, are there different kinds of them, and how do I go about replacing it?
    Thanks, reps as usual.

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

id the bios alos restting? make a small change in it thats not really abig thing then see if it also changes. is he syncronizing with the time thing in windows via internet?

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I agree with Venom, this is a two part answer.

I would start with replacing the CMOS battery, you can get them from radio shack for like 3 bucks. Link That is for the 3V battery, start with that. However, that would only be the case if the problem presents itself after a power-off, not a reboot. If you set the information, it will be held until after a power-off.

How is his internet connection? Also, wouldn't be 100% out of the question he could have some malicious spyware or viruses. Everything up to date?

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

acually one other thing. Check the date and time in the BIOS see if they are correctr if they arent reset them so that they are. Does he have internet connection. I havent seen a virus do time and date stuff but who knows with that. Id wait on the bat until you know its that dont waste 4 bucks hehe.

ray_gillespie likes this.
  5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Since ray_gillespie is in the UK, there's no radio shack here. hehe :p
    If I remember correctly, you need to get the CR3202 battery to replace the one inside the computer. This is usually the first thing to check when it comes to Date/Time (reset) problems. If it still continues after replacing the battery then look at the other suggestions mentioned above.

ray_gillespie likes this.
  6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Oops, sorry, forgot about Radio Shack not being in the UK. :)

7. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Whoa! Thanks for all the quick replies, some great info there.
    I'll see what happens with this battery first then, and if the problem persists then I'll have to try other stuff. He's got up to date anti-virus software etc and doesn't really use the internet much so I don't think it's a virus, but it's still possible I suppose. I'll post again when I've tried the battery option.
    Thanks again.

Reps out.

8. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Canada doesnt have radioshack anymore, they had to change there name to "The Source by Circuit City". Radioshack was going down hill anyways. Not the electronic supply store it used to be.

Linky if your curiuos:
    http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/default.aspx?language=en-CA&swlang=true

AS to the thread topic, I agree, try the battery first.