Thunderbird Problem

~bk

I
Political Access
About two days ago, Thunderbird started acting dumb. Whenever I open it, all I see is a blank screen in the area where I'm supposed to see the subjects of my emails. And I can't see any new email either.

And I noticed it has started saying "Building summary file for Inbox" at the bottom. Never saw that before.

However, I can still see the emails in my Sent folder and my other folders inside the Inbox.

Any ideas? Using the latest version, if that helps.

Somehow I got the email subjects to show but I can't read the mails now. It's all blank. :s

If ya don't compact the in-box folder every so often (like every other day if ya get a bunch of Mail), the in-box will get soooo big even if you have only a dozen e-mails in it. The dozen being the ones you didn't delete or move to some other folder or HDD. You may not see any more than the dozen that are there. But remnants are still taking up a ton of space. Open Thunderbird and connect or download yer mail. If you have a big amount of old leftovers in the in-box (yeah, the ones ya can't see), it will take a very long time to get all your mail. Plus it takes a loooong time to see anything in that window.

Trust me I had this problem. After you get/download all the mail (this will take a while so don't do anything while it's doing this. Just wait 'till it's done)and you can see the e-mails in your in-box (depending as to how you have set up Thunderbird to show the windows) right click on the in-box (see attachment) and click on "compact this folder. That should clean up all the crap that was still there, but could not be seen. Then the next time ya open Thunderbird and get yer mail it will jump, just like it use to. Do the compact dance every week if you only have lite mail. If you gat a ton, try this every two to three days.

Attachments

• Tbird1.jpg
    Tbird1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 111
Oh, one other thing. That "summary" thing kinda threw me. When I had my problem I don't recall if that is what it said at the bottom. I hope there isn't anything else because this may only fix part of the problem.

Will compacting the folder delete some of the emails?

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. :)

Now just remember to compact yer folders often. Oh, you can set the "Trash" folder to compact itself when you close out Thunderbird (good idea to get use to).

gonaads said:
Now just remember to compact yer folders often. Oh, you can set the "Trash" folder to compact itself when you close out Thunderbird (good idea to get use to).

Yeah, I just enabled that feature. :)

Great, good good good. :D

Oh, on a side note, BMW does not stand for "Bilal Motor Works".

It stands for:

Break My Windows

Break My Wallet

Bitchy Menstra.. Woman

Big Mexican Woman

and (for our Bay Area folks here near Frisco)

Basic Marin Wheels.

:D

gonaads said:
Great, good good good. :D

Oh, on a side note, BMW does not stand for "Bilal Motor Works".

It stands for:

Break My Windows

Break My Wallet

Bitchy Menstra.. Woman

Big Mexican Woman

and (for our Bay Area folks here near Frisco)

Basic Marin Wheels.

:D

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back