This weather is to extreme!

wwwdjrcs said:
Supposed to be around 0 all weekend long with the windchill :s

You think your weather changes are bad, New England is MUCH much worse :p

Actually, my parents retired in Maine, where I lived from Nov 1988 till Aug 1997... The winters are cold yes, and the days in December quite short... I mean, like sunset around 4 pm... But the temps didn't tend to change as much as what some are seeing. Of course we also lived on the coast, which tends to moderate temps some, as water masses such as the ocean don't lose heat as fast as air, or warm up as fast. A given sea breeze will tend to hold temps up in winter, and down in summer.

But there's another matter affecting this also. Relative humidity. In some areas, such as where I now live, where Sazar now lives (if he's still in the desert southwest as I'm assuming), and some others, the relative humidity is much lower. With the sort of relative humidity we had back in Maine, and also in New Jersey when I lived there for that matter; the air simply can't lose as much heat without hitting the dew point, at which point it's super saturated with more water vapor then it can hold. If it started raining or snowing, one would get some precip, but the air wouldn't just cool down further.

Alternatively, a daily variation of 30 or 35 degrees in a given day isn't unheard of in the desert southwest from the temperature around 3 pm vs. the temp just before sunrise (coldest part of the day). What has made things unusual here, is that the temps have varied by such an extreme amount from day to day, rather then the normal amount (which this has exceeded), simply moving from day to night...

There's one other difference also, besides temps having just been cold there during winters, and of course the snow fall; it really is a different kind of cold. 30 degrees when the relative humidity is about 85-90% (which wasn't unheard of in Maine), simply does not feel the same as the dry cold, say 30 degrees when the relative humidity is only 20%... Cold and humid, just doesn't feel as cold...

Alternatively, without all the moisture in the air, it's a different kind of heat in the summer too. Last summer we had temps above 100, but even there, it wasn't the same as the hot and humid August days we had in New Jersey, where it could hit 97 or 98 degrees, but be 95% relative humidity. Hot and muggy (where one day growing up, our air conditioner failed, we stuck to our sheets going to bed) just doesn't feel the same, as almost oven like heat...

This winter, we saw even 10 degrees or so one day. Some parts of New Mexico had seen sub-zero temps then. Now try that with 20-35% relative humidity, rather then the extra moisture one finds on the coast line :eek:

Last edited:
Yah I have a summer house uo in Kennebunk Port Maine...
Not really a summer house, i still go there in the winter (hate it but..)
Anyways, this year has been very different, we haven't had a consistent temp for more than 3 days, and its not always cold... Last week it was 60 some days, so we bring out the 2wd cars and get them all ****ty with sand then we have to put them away in a hurry cause the snow is coming...
-Jack

Yeah, my parents live up around Camden, ME... For somewhat of an idea, if you take i-95 up to the Augusta exit, you then find your way onto route 17 and travel, in the direction that would lead yo to route 90. Take route 90 down to route 1, and you're in their neighborhood... Actually, at that point one's between Camden and Rockland, so take a left on rt 1, and head north, I don't remember but around 10 miles or there abouts... Should be enough of an idea for one to get the general vacinity off of a map.

Anyhow, my father mentioned some of the weird weather, though his warm days were more like 47... I told him it had hit 66 degrees here (or even 72 or so 1 day), and he was like "well, it isn't like that here. Not yet, anyhow"... Then that night, it hit about 18 degrees or so here... Not sure what saw that night, as he never called to tell me...

Was -3 this morning but it's winter so I suppose thats only to be expected.Sun's now shining and theres a squirrel gang charging about in the garden :laugh:

Whoa, thats pretty far up in maine...
Kennebunk port is just over the boarder, how can your parents stand to be up there?
If i lived way up there i would have killed myself already...:)
-Jack

Was a warm front followed by a cold front other day that came thru. It took the temp up to 51F and then down to mid teens in a few hours time. It also helped produce wind gusts of around 77mph and nocked power out for something like 144 thousand folks. :(

I was in a hotel in Kennebunkport, ME about 2 weeks ago. Was rather nice having a hot tub in the room. That kept the inside pretty warm while it was cold outside ;)

It's about 30F outside, with the wind its about 25F or so.

Tomorrow, it will be upto 65 or so.

Gotta love the texas weather lol.

This is pretty cold for us lads here :) Ice outside.

Working from home today.

wwwdjrcs said:
I was in a hotel in Kennebunkport, ME about 2 weeks ago. Was rather nice having a hot tub in the room. That kept the inside pretty warm while it was cold outside ;)

What would you be doing in a hotel? :laugh:

5 dollar sucky sucky?

Dude, when there is a $4,000 ring on her finger, you BETTER get more than the $5 version :p

WWW did u stay in the White Barn Inn?
Thats just about the only hotel that i can think of that would have a hotub in the room...
Your other options would be the Colony, and the Nonantum but i dont think they have hot tubs...
If you stayed at the White Barn Inn, owned by Laurie Bonjourno who also owns half of Kennebunkport than you are lucky, that place is really really expensive!!
Laurie is a friend of my family, hes so rich its not even funny...
-Jack

Stayed at the King's Port Inn, here is a pic of the hot-tub....

Attachments

• Jacuzzi-100.jpg
    Jacuzzi-100.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 84
vanquished said:
Whoa, thats pretty far up in maine...
Kennebunk port is just over the boarder, how can your parents stand to be up there?
If i lived way up there i would have killed myself already...:)
-Jack

People accross from the Lincolville ferry nearly do. Islesborough is an extremely small island, with only 1 road (from what I had been told) which loops around. During the winter months, there isn't much to do, and as to getting the ferry...

Let me just put it this way: If the people who had lived on Ilsesborough were on the forums here, they'd post so much in the "Good Tiems" so much, even if Sazar and Tittles were to do fusion and post as often as the 2 of them get drunk; they'd still look like they entered into alchoholics anonymous and were trying to go sober by comparison. During the winter, drinking was the only thing they had to do...

BTW, it's 35 degrees according to my PC here, albeit the RSS feed usually reports a temp about 2-3 degrees warmer then what the bank's thermometer reports down the street.

Ah, i know where that is, its in a whole block of inns...
We were going to buy it or an inn right beside it... I cant remember...
-Jack

wwwdjrcs said:
Dude, when there is a $4,000 ring on her finger, you BETTER get more than the $5 version :p

nah

She was having a sale :laugh:

Just Kidding

Goku: I don't drink that much to be mentioned :p

April and I hit up the Wildwood Inn up in Estes Park. Nice place.

Hot tub was on the deck, with hummingbirds all around. They keep feeders out 24-7. Nothing like having Champagne and fruit for breakfast either. :D

Jus keep thinking; We have one month and two days till spring. Hurry up and get here damnit. I want to sit at the tiki bar in my shorts and listen to Jimmy Buffett while I get drunk on boat drinks !!

(That reminds me, I have to check his schedule and see when he is going to be in pitt.)

[edit] Nothing listed yet [/edit]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back