This disk does not appear to be a WinXP Disk?

R

Rallon

While my Chkdsk was running after a nasty system crash earlier (cooling troubles), it decided that my C:\ drive is "Not a Windows XP Disk" and cancelled checking. I can still access files and all, but WinXP is my only installed OS so that worries me a little...anybody have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Thanks in advance

~Alex

Click start> run> type in 'cmd'> then type in 'sfc /scannow,' without the quotes of course. This will check to make sure your system files are in tack. If it picks up on anything it will ask for the installation CD or directory. After that try the chkdsk again... good luck.

That didn't quite work - it asked me for a Windows XP Professional CD. I tried to insert my XP Home CD but it didn't like it. Any idea how I can fix that or another thing I can try?

hmmm, that's wierd. You can try copying all of the installation files to your hard drive and then changing your installation directory using a tweaking program. You can do it in 'Cusomizer XP,' registry tweaks section under 'system' (top of the list). Copy the 'i386' folder and all it's subfolders to your root hard drive and try it from there. I don't have a clue why the system file checker (sfc) is identifying your installation as a 'pro' version. If this doesn't work the only thing I can think to suggest is to do a system restore to before the crash and/or then a repair installation. Hope something helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back