thinking of setting up RAID

Z

ZipTriX

KT7A-RAID Motherboard

What would be the best RAID setup or should I stay with ATA100?

Do you have the motherboard yet?!?

If not Here something to try... Get and install two harddrives... Go into "disk managment" convert them to dynamic disks, and then Use disk managment again to "span" the two drives... This give you a software based raid drive... It's VERY close to a hardware based raid system and is more configurable, is that a word?!?...

I had this set up in Win2k and in the beta versions of Xp... Then I converted my Ultra100 to a Fastrack100... The drives bench the same and the CPU usage is no different...

The only problem with dynamic disks is that no other OS can read them... If you have NTFS it doesn't matter anyway...

Also try doing this in Fat32 if it'll let you, I don't remember. Fat32 raid drives perform better that there NTFS counterparts...

ooops... I'm babbling...

Originally posted by MiseryQ
Do you have the motherboard yet?!?

If not Here something to try... Get and install two harddrives... Go into "disk managment" convert them to dynamic disks, and then Use disk managment again to "span" the two drives... This give you a software based raid drive... It's VERY close to a hardware based raid system and is more configurable, is that a word?!?...

I had this set up in Win2k and in the beta versions of Xp... Then I converted my Ultra100 to a Fastrack100... The drives bench the same and the CPU usage is no different...

The only problem with dynamic disks is that no other OS can read them... If you have NTFS it doesn't matter anyway...

Also try doing this in Fat32 if it'll let you, I don't remember. Fat32 raid drives perform better that there NTFS counterparts...

ooops... I'm babbling...

already have the motherboard and 2 hard drives, but getting a third. so that is why I am thinking of getting raid.

If you already have it then go for it... It better than plain ATA100...
I don't know how the motherboard sets the raid but if it's like my Promise card then set it for performance, that'll span the drives...

If you have two drives of the same type, i sould recomend striping them together. You get faster read/write speeds

JJB6486

Originally posted by JJB6486
If you have two drives of the same type, i sould recomend striping them together. You get faster read/write speeds

JJB6486

which is better though? stripping, mirror + stripping, etc?

Striping will set the drives up for speed... Half the info is written/read to each drive at the same time... Mirroring copies the entire file to each drive, if one drive dies you'll have to install another one and rebuild the array, mirroring with scsi is different if one drives dies the infos still available...

Mirror plus stripping needs 4 drives, 2 for striping, 2 for mirroring... Since it's IDE raid go with stripping... If you want all out speed get 4 drives then stripe them, that's when raid really starts kicking ass...

Originally posted by MiseryQ
Striping will set the drives up for speed... Half the info is written/read to each drive at the same time... Mirroring copies the entire file to each drive, if one drive dies you'll have to install another one and rebuild the array, mirroring with scsi is different if one drives dies the infos still available...

Mirror plus stripping needs 4 drives, 2 for striping, 2 for mirroring... Since it's IDE raid go with stripping... If you want all out speed get 4 drives then stripe them, that's when raid really starts kicking ass...

I want scsi raid, but I also want a T1 :( lol

In time i plan on getting onbord scsi.

SO if I go with stripping, and a drive dies, I would have to reformat and install everything again? Oh yeah would it be better if both my hard drive were on the same IDE cable?

Soory,,, missed this post last night... If one drive dies you have to reformat... Even if you mirrored the drives you'd still have to build the array... The advantages of raid is lost on an OS though,,, Raid has a higher read/write, your OS drive should have a faster seek time... There not many OS files that are large enough to make a difference... Raid could be used for your paging file... and definatly used for adobe swap files, storage, what have you...

the opinions stated above are MiseryQ's and might not be anyone elses

I'm using SOYO DRAGON PLUS with RAID support and you can actualy specify what kind of RAID stripping you want, it has option for:
- Server (small file read/write)
- Audio/Video (large file read/write)
- Desktop (small & lard file read/write)

with my computer set to audio/video (that is what I do) stripping it starts-up WinXP in 18-20 seconds (Bootvis boot timing test)

Originally posted by DNA of FLASH
I'm using SOYO DRAGON PLUS with RAID support and you can actualy specify what kind of RAID stripping you want, it has option for:
- Server (small file read/write)
- Audio/Video (large file read/write)
- Desktop (small & lard file read/write)

with my computer set to audio/video (that is what I do) stripping it starts-up WinXP in 18-20 seconds (Bootvis boot timing test)

I can't get bootvis to work :(

I might have to get the soyo dragon :D

I can't get bootvis to work either... I don't remeber but I got some weird error...

I have basically the same 3 option on my Promise...

APK... I think you might have helped me on my thread, [which I have'nt checked yet[/i]...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back