Thermal Paste

if it makes an electrical contact between certain sections of your CPU then you will fry your CPU and probably your Mobo as well. If you follow the instructions carefully then it is pretty hard to go wrong.

Aside from the post above too much paste actually increases the thermal resistance.

F O L L O W I N S T R U C T I O N S.

The tech writers get pissed if you don't.

The Arctic Thermal site has excellent instructions.
Due to my recent mobo problems I have become an expert ( or at least I have not screwed it up ) at doing this.
Buy a pack of razor blades and use the narrow i.e. dull end to apply the paste to the chip. It is exactly the right size to do this. no mess, no fuss. If you have an old tape pad or something on the existing heat sink and chip use acetone ( or really good lacquer thinner ) to remove most of the crap. Then switch to alcohol ( no not rye whiskey) to puff and buff.
I use a piece of saran wrap on my finger to lap the heat sink with artic silver.
Small needle nose pliers work very well to fit the G***!!M bracket over the clips.
Good luck

silky62678 I got your PM, but your PM box is either full or turned off.

Yes the Asus A7N8X Deluxe is a good mobo, one thing though if you want say 512MB of RAM, get 2 256MB sticks, then you can do Dual DDR which is higher performance

Originally posted by melon
I would say go for the Arctic Silver 3. If it isn't broke, then why fix it? :p

It's easy to remove / reapply paste. In fact, I just did it yesterday. Use an anti-static cloth and use at least 91% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol). I bought pre-moistened wipes myself...lol. Don't be scared to put a little bit of pressure to wipe the stuff off (in other words, it isn't necessarily a pressure-less operation to get that stuff off the die). And when it says only a tiny drop is needed, it is true. Don't overdo it. "Less" is "more," actually.

Melon
Where can i find the pre-moistened wipes ?

try peanut butter, its good thermal paste.

read on a site which have experimented on it, over all good performance.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back