The Xbox "Xenon" news thread...

eeh.... it's natural to comment on peoples typo's, ESPECIALLY when it's between Mhz and Ghz, MB and GB, stuff like that. it's like ur fingers break free from your brain's control, and all of a sudden it's on the screen. :)

lancer said:
in truth, the ps3 will have a far more powerful processor, something like 4.5mhz

At first glance, yes, but the speed of a CPU is only a small part of the performance in consoles or PC's for that fact. Anyways GHz means nothing these days, just look at AMD vs Intel, or even Intel Pentium M's vs Pentium 3/4 or old Alpha CPU's, they were kicking ass for years at slower clock speeds.

Intel even owned up that the GHz race was over. That's why they've changed their naming convention for their new chips :)

lancer said:
in truth, the ps3 will have a far more powerful processor, something like 4.5Ghz ...
Yeah but a game console shoudn't need that kinda of speed and will surely not use it. Your going to be paying for the HYPE in the end. ;)

I also read an interesting article about all 3 consoles coming out (MS, Sony, Nintendo). With developers having to make games for 3 consoles, and all having crazy specs it's going to cost more $ to make games so the amount of games will probably decline.

Xie said:
Yeah but a game console shoudn't need that kinda of speed and will surely not use it. Your going to be paying for the HYPE in the end. ;)

I also read an interesting article about all 3 consoles coming out (MS, Sony, Nintendo). With developers having to make games for 3 consoles, and all having crazy specs it's going to cost more $ to make games so the amount of games will probably decline.

I don't know about that...surely there's no limit to the amount of power a game could need? Why do we need to put a limit on that?

And the second point: the consoles themselves are probably going to cost more too, and it will probably be more expensive to buy the games as well.

edit: IGN also have a similar article up now...and in it they mention that Xenon will have 3 controller ports instead of 4 on the current Xbox. If this is true, I'll be quite dissapointed. Why would you take a step back and decrease the controller ports? That just sounds extremely stupid, and hopefully IGN screwed up on this.

Grandmaster said:
I don't know about that...surely there's no limit to the amount of power a game could need? Why do we need to put a limit on that?

And the second point: the consoles themselves are probably going to cost more too, and it will probably be more expensive to buy the games as well.

edit: IGN also have a similar article up now...and in it they mention that Xenon will have 3 controller ports instead of 4 on the current Xbox. If this is true, I'll be quite dissapointed. Why would you take a step back and decrease the controller ports? That just sounds extremely stupid, and hopefully IGN screwed up on this.
Well this is console gaming ... I guess I just picture a console as not a super computer. :p

Also I think making these consoles with super specs puts alot of pressure on game makers as they have to make sure the games are pretty (majority of people playing games these days are graphics whores), and that they "push the consoles limits". It seems they have 2 things against them going into the game designing.

As for the 3 controller ports VS. 4 ... perhaps its a cost issue or a hardware issue? It does seem odd though, I mean you either have 2 ports or 4 ports.

i'm just glad that Fable's coming to the PC, with more quests, more areas to roam around, new weapons, armor, and new monsters. Supposed to be out in the Fall. Also read that the next Nintendo system will have build in Wireless LAN support, and free access to the console's net service using your current connection, and the console will be backwards-compatible with Gamecube games.

Edit: just read the last post..... 3 CONTROLLER PORTS!!! what a crappy move that was. wouldn't be much fun playing against friends.

Friend 1: "who wants to play some Halo 3 multiplayer teamplay?"
Friend 2: "I DO!!"
Friend 3: "ME TOO!!! wait.... how?"
Friend 2: "Me and friend 1 on team 1, you and......... you on team 2. :suprised:"

ghz don't mean jack these days...

its how much work the proc does and how balanced the unit is...

on paper the xbox2 looks nice... the ps3 looks pretty nice too...

whether or not they use pc components is really besides the point...

what matters is whether or not the product does what it is supposed to do..

Yeah, I don't understand why its 3 ports...

The specs look pretty nice though.

Edit: Grandmaster, the article says that it [Xenon] will have "three controller slots, two controllers on front of the system, plus one USB on the back." The USB is for the camera. :)

hsn said:
Yeah, I don't understand why its 3 ports...

The specs look pretty nice though.

Edit: Grandmaster, the article says that it has "three controller slots, two controllers on front of the system, plus one USB on the back." The USB is for the camera. :)

Meaning...they only have two controller ports? :(

man.... that's even WORSE! wasn't the last stystem to only have 2 controller ports...... the Playstation? before that i think it was SNES. lol. 4 ports have been the way since around the age of the N64. Maybe earlier. don't remember how many controller ports the Sega systems and stuff had....

ElementalDragon said:
man.... that's even WORSE! wasn't the last stystem to only have 2 controller ports...... the Playstation? before that i think it was SNES. lol. 4 ports have been the way since around the age of the N64. Maybe earlier. don't remember how many controller ports the Sega systems and stuff had....

PS2 is the most recent console that has 2 ports.

huh...... i thought PS2 had 4....... oh well...... wasn't around that many PS2's. harder to find than a console that wasn't released yet. lol. Insane now that they stopped making the older ones, and don't seem to be pushing out the slimmer ones too fast.

With the ability to network modern consoles you don't really need the extra 2 controller ports actually. Also 4 playing on 1 TV (unless you TV is huge) is a bit over the top IMO and would take away from gameplay instead of adding to it IMO.

Nice screens NetRyder, those are coming along nicely :D

Xie: It's so much fun to be able to play with a group of friends on a couch...not everyone has two TVs and two Xbox they can hook up to play...

Grandmaster.... it almost sounds as if you never played Goleneye on N64. that game was THE BEST to play with 3 other buddies when sittin on a couch.

ElementalDragon said:
Grandmaster.... it almost sounds as if you never played Goleneye on N64. that game was THE BEST to play with 3 other buddies when sittin on a couch.
I remember making tournaments of Goldeneye into drinking games. :classic:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back