the services...anyone know what i can stop???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DAZZ, Dec 28, 2001.

1. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest there a website or somthing which shows u info on all the services on windows xp pro....
    i need to free some RAM

2. Gazza

Gazza Guest

Great site for Service info

:) Take a look here .. might take you a while to read all the stuff but it is certainly worth it if you want to know what is running and what you don't really need.
  3. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

Live and learn..

I went into msconfig and started unchecking some of the services. Upon my next boot, guess what... it wouldnt boot. hehehe No big deal, you can always recover. During the boot process if you keep hitting F5 until you get the menu screen, you can choose "boot unto last known good configuration" and all will be good. Just remember to change anything that you changed before.

I never played with it some more to figure out what exactly was stopping the boot, but I figure it was some of the "remote services". Anyways, the moral of this story is that even if you uncheck the incorrect service, you can recover. So why not make it a learning experience.
  4. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

Now that's really cool. Thanks for that tip. I probably will end up having to use that sooner or later with my, "can't keep my hands off of shit" nature! Heh heh.
  5. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest

cool, thanks for helping me
  6. SirLasher

SirLasher Guest

Re: Great site for Service info

great site thanks for the addy.