The Official WWDC 2005 Thread

So is it too late to copyright MacIntel Computers? :p

Yikes! :eek:
After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.
http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch,+aligns+with+Intel/2100-7341_3-5733756.html?tag=nl

Bring on the reverse-engineering experts. :D

On a different note, OS X 10.5 will be called "Leopard," and is timed for release near Longhorn. Part of me imagines that as wishful thinking, but who knows?

Hilarious! :laugh:

Attachments

• post-17936-1118079674.jpg
    post-17936-1118079674.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 140
There is a "Watch the Keynote Webcast" link on the developer page, but the link doesn't take you there, yet.

muzikool said:
There is a "Watch the Keynote Webcast" link on the developer page, but the link doesn't take you there, yet.

Hrm, where is it?

Apple w/ Intel Inside. Can you imaging Apple dipping their fingers in WINE? Run Windows binaries naitevly in OS X...

Centrino Powerbooks... Oh I can't wait! The G5 Powerbook would have been better... but I'll hapily take an Aluminum Centrino Powerbook (assuming they stick w/ the Power name now that the PowerPC is no longer being used).

It would be silly to use emulation on an x86 Apple machine. As they mentioned to CNET, they won't be preventing users from installing Windows on their systems. You'd much rather dual boot XP and OS X and have the best of both worlds without any performance penalties.

Damn...things just got so much more interesting. :D

Great. Just got back from campus. Have half an hour before dinner. Let's watch this thing. :D

Hmm...either it's a h.264 clip, or my connection is screwed. Can't seem to play it. I'm downloading QT7 right now. If that doesn't work, I'll just check it out later in the evening when I'm back on campus.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are just replacing a PPC CPU with a crappy Intel. I believe they would keep the same mobo/bios/chipset and all that good stuff as Apple makes $ on hardware, not software really.

I am very dissapointed in Apple though. I think many would agree the AMD64 would be a much better fit with Apple. I hope they "see the light" in the future and they get onboard with AMD (maybe even drop Intel).

No Open Firmware on the x86 Macs. Hmmm...
Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors do not use Open Firmware. Although many parts of the IO registry are present and work as expected, information that is provided by Open Firmware on a Macintosh using a PowerPC microprocessor (such as a complete device tree) is not available in the IO registry on a Macintosh using an Intel microprocessor. You can obtain some of the information from IODeviceTree by using the sysctlbyname or sysctl commands.
How exactly are they planning to restrict OS X x86 to Apple machines only? I'm dying to know! :)

Wow, I can't believe it!

I might have to hold off buying that new system until these new Intel based Macs come out!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back