The Multi-Core/Multi-Processor Club

Re: Dual Core Processor Club

i have a pentium D is it a duel-core pross.
if so wat dos it do and how do i overclock it?

heh... i originally planned to get core duo/core2duo lappy in spring 2007, but with ps3 coming out, i'm now confused. :p

I flashed my bios (Intel 975) last night and now I am ready for a Core 2 Duo! Bring 'em on.

Just bought an AMD Athlon 4800, should be getting it in a week or so. Price was so good I couldnt pass it up. Woo hoo!

I maxed out my credit card in the process of buying... got my new digital camera on there too... so I am excited to get it, but bummed cause I am in debt. :)

i just bought 2 Pentium 940 D's woohoo me.....

When is the core duo going to be released, i thought it was this month.

The new Intel processors should be available the first week of August.

Intel just announced the release of the Core 2 Duo... the processor that blows AMD processors out of the water.

i'm looking forward to them alot.

Yes, the Core 2 Duo is faster than anything AMD has to offer. But in my own defense the cost of changing platforms is just to great to justify the performance gain. I got the Athlon 4800 for 360$, thats a freaking steal considering what it used to be. To change over to the Duo platform it would cost around 1,000 to get me back where I am at right now. Two gigs of high quality memory, a nice high end Asus mobo and a mid to high end cpu... just to expensive for my taste.

Now, the next time I need to upgrade it wont be until AMD has something that can compete with Intel again, and everything will be good. The 4800 is still a badass processor and the performance difference between the two isnt that much.

You can buy the best 975X board for around $250.00 and you can buy a top of the line Core 2 Duo for around $500.00.

Unless you want the Core 2 Extreme which will go for $999.00.

But I certainly understand where you are coming from.

Intel is using DDR2 when it comes to the 975X board and a Core 2 Duo/Extreme.

So, $250.00 for the Intel motherboard and $500.00 for the CPU and for 2GB of Corsiar XMS its ~$200 depending on latencies. So thats a total of $950, add taxes and shipping thats $1000+. Ouch

However, if I were building a system from scratch today I would most likely go that route, since it is the most powerful at this time. I would have to get over my brand loyalty though, I have been using AMD for almost 10 years.. but I probably would get over it and move on with my life. :-\

Interesting, Egg prices for 4600 X2-

AM2 $250
939 $315

You can get an AM2 MB for $50 but are still out the 2 gig of RAM.

But then there is the AMD roadmap that changes socket type next year again... Almost tempting since I have to buy new ram anyway, my MB only has 2 DIMM slots and all I have are 512 sticks.

The new Core 2 Duo CPUs are starting to appear on Newegg, ZipZoomFly, and other online retailers.

Newegg only has the two lower end models ($389.00 and $399.00, both in stock).

ZipZoomFly has all four listed but all out of stock.

Nobody has the E6800 yet.

I came across this link... http://promotions.newegg.com/intel/080406/index.html

i think it was only the AM2 4600+ that got the price cut for some odd reason..... don't remember really. wish i'da waited to get my X2 3800+.... coulda got a 4600+ for a bit more than i got mine for ($297 pre-price cuts), or a 4200+ for almost half the price.

Lee: from what a lot of places have been saying, AMD supposedly commented that Socket AM2 motherboards will be compatible with their next line of processors (what's being called AM3)

Well I just got my 4800 in the mail this morning and I got it all installed before I went to work. Its now busy transcoding some divx files so I can burn them to a dvd. :) Just from my quick messing around with it it just feels more responsive just when doing everyday stuff. I cant wait till I get home this evening to really see what its made of, I got all sorts of 3ds Max scenes to render out... I cant wait!

4800 = Sexy CPU

Enjoy the new hardware and you better get folding!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back