The Intel P4 Darkside.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NegativeFactor, Mar 30, 2003.

1. I've decided to move from my usual AMD chips to a Pentium 4 for many different reasons, the main one being money is no longer such an issue. So I need a new Motherboard. Any suggestions on a Socket 478 Board? Obviously i'm looking for something from Asus/Epox/Gigabyte or similar.

Any links to site with motherboard comparisons would be great.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Welcome to the Intel P4 Darkside young Skywalker!

Abit IT7 Max 2 for your P4 needs...?:)
  4. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Get the Epox 4PEA like mine, it's a really good board and recommend it. Funny name but great board :)
  5. Darn it, i've just realised that the Abit IT7 Max 2 doesn't have AGP 8x support and since my graphics card it 8x complient I would like a board that supports this feature.
  6. jumpy

jumpy Guest

I wouldnt worry too much about 8X AGP, its really mostly marketing hype. I know you bought an 8X AGP card so want to utilize it, but with a 128mb card it's not really used at all. I'd stick with the intel 845PE chipset, if you want 8X AGP you'll need to go to a SIS chipset....
  7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

I've just got a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra mobo... it's got loads of bits an pieces on it which i will probably never use (smart card device interfaces etc), but its been a solid mobo so far. Ultra.htm
  8. Re: Re: The Intel P4 Darkside.

Yeah them boards are cool, actully I set one up around my mates house the other day. With the dual BIOS and the 2nd Power circuit that glows the cool blue colour.

My first thoughts were to get one of those but i've heard so many good things about the Abit IT7 Max 2 that i'm tempting to save myself a little cash and go for that. Also with Jumpy's added comments regard 8x AGP i'm really tempted now.
  9. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Re: Re: Re: The Intel P4 Darkside.

a mate of mine got the IT7 Max (not the Max 2 though) and had a few problems setting it up...
  10. Just though you might all like to know that I finally went for the following board and processor:
    1. Intel Pentium 4 2.53Ghz (512KB Level 2 Cache/533Mhz System Bus)
    2. Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394(GA-8SQ800 Ultra2)
      Thanks for all the help!