the greatest trilogy of all time

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Sports' started by muzikool, Jan 6, 2004.

?
  1. Back to the Future

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. The Godfather

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Indiana Jones

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Lord of the Rings

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  5. Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI)

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. The Matrix

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Which one gets your vote? Why?

2. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Wow... some good choices there. I am in a tie with Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Not to take anything away from the others because they are all great trilogys. I guess Star Wars will edge out only by a little.
    Star Wars was a great epic battle and has stood the test of time. I saw the original release back '77 and it was something no one has ever seen before. So original and such great effects for the time. Sadly the Return of The Jedi was a muppet movie. Which is why so many hard core followers had issues with the series. The Empire Strikes Back had the best ending though.
    The list for me would be something like...

1 Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI)
    2 Indiana Jones
    3 Lord of the Rings
    4 The Godfather
    5 Back to the Future

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

It would have been a close run thing between Star Wars and BTTF, with BTTF probably just about winning. But now i have t say LOTR, I know its new and all but i just feel it has an overall cohesiveness that sets it apart

4. dubstar

dubstar format c:

starwars... im taking into aspect the fact that starwars introduced a lot of new moving technology, great acting, and a great story. while lord of the rings was just great acting + great story.

5. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

hmmm... not that many would say it belongs in the list but it should be mentioned and that is the Matrix Trilogy

6. Khayman

That should defintly be on the list! can't belive i forgot about them!!! OMG shot me now:)

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

uhm you missed the matrix trilogy. thats my favourite with lotr as a good second.

8. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Star Wars, its hard to mess up a classic like that, though George Lucas is damn well trying with Special Editions and the previous Eps

9. Khayman

Added Matrix

10. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Voted for the matrix

11. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Voted for the godfather, to stop me voting for the matrix (which was great - all of em!) to the 3rd part was more like an episode of the sopranos, which is also great, but out of place.

12. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

I voted for The Lord of the Rings, my favorite trilogy of all time !

Of course, I liked the others also, except for Matrix: didn't see episodes 2 & 3 and don't want to...

13. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

Star Wars was great, but I have lost a lot of interest in it with the last 2. So I voted LOTR. :)

14. Alan

Alan its only fun

I voted The Godfather....maybe would have been LOTR but I haven't seen all 3 yet

15. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

The matrix :D

16. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I'd have to the LOTOR Trilogy. I've just never had a better time watching any other movies.

17. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

my vote went to LotR although SW would have been 2nd if I could vote for a 2nd. I can't believe all that voted for matrix :p ... the 1st was great but I feel that 2/3 would have been MUCH better if they had dropped the neo/trinity stuff as it killed the series which had great potential. :(

18. Yharn

Yharn meh.

was a big Star Wars fan, but I must say LOTR interests me much more.

19. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Thanks for adding 'The Matrix' Khayman. I thought of it after posting the poll, but I couldn't figure out how to edit it. Can regular members even edit polls?

Anyhow, it was a tough decision even though I posted the poll myself. I decided to go with LotR, barely over Star Wars and The Godfather. The reason I chose it it above The Godfather was because The Godfather took a nosedive in the final film. Similarly to Star Wars, I think that LotR has raised the bar for what can be done through animation and the like. A major reason I chose LotR is because of the feat of adapting such a beloved series of books to film. Peter Jackson put himself in a situation where he could have disgraced Tolkien's work and angered millions of people. But he came through with an epic trilogy that was visually stunning, wonderfully acted, intense, funny, exciting, and emotional. In comparing the two trilogies, I don't find Star Wars to have the same depth and range of characteristics as LotR.

20. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

LOTR all the way... of course :)

MdSalih