The Future

champ2005

| xs |
I would be interested to know people's general opinion on the following, very important questions:

- Are 32-bit computers still worth buying? For how long will this be so?
and
- Is Windows Longhorn the be all end all, do all Microsoft operating systems to date suddenly become obsolete, or is it just a load of hype? And will it be when 32-bit is finally ditched or will there still be a 32-bit version?

i think 32bit computers will be around for a couple more years especially in the places still developing and have trouble acuiring money/recources to get 64bit, so i think you wont be on 32 bit for long
as for the longhorn thing, no it wont be the end, and they stop supporting older ones because advances in technology as well for the biggest reason they want to keep making money so if they keep supporting current os' and have to do it for free they dont make money

champ2005 said:
I would be interested to know people's general opinion on the following, very important questions:

and
- Is Windows Longhorn the be all end all, do all Microsoft operating systems to date suddenly become obsolete, or is it just a load of hype? And will it be when 32-bit is finally ditched or will there still be a 32-bit version?

Considering that 64bit computers aren't worth buying (yet) I'd say buying a 32bit machine is still a safe option. Most operating systems are 32bit, most games are 32bit, most apps are 32bit... virtually everything out there is 32bit.

As for Longhorn, we'll find out in 2006, possibly 2007.

and
the 64 bit chips aren't that much in price more then the 32 bit chip...plus they run 32 bit operating systems, and they run the 32 bit software better then 32 bit hardware runs it.

so I don't even get why anyone is still buying 32 bit processors...best strategy is just by a box with 64 bit hardware, 32 bit software, and migrate as 64 evolves

as far as longhorn, it's just an interface over xp...I can't imagine it being as successfull as xp

the next generation of operating systems will include a combination of permanent electronic storage to go along with a hardrive (imho)

perris said:
the 64 bit chips aren't that much in price more then the 32 bit chip...plus they run 32 bit operating systems, and they run the 32 bit software better then 32 bit hardware runs it.

so I don't even get why anyone is still buying 32 bit processors...best strategy is just by a box with 64 bit hardware, 32 bit software, and migrate as 64 evolves

as far as longhorn, it's just an interface over xp...I can't imagine it being as successfull as xp

the next generation of operating systems will include a combination of permanent electronic storage to go along with a hardrive (imho)
People aren't "getting" 32bit, most people already just have it, and don't need the rather pointless upgrade to 64bit yet. I admit, were I buying a new machine tomorrow, it would be 64bit, but absolutely NONE of the 64bit architecture would be utilised. I'd be installing my copy of XP (32bit) using my favourite apps (32bit) drivers for all my hardware (32bit) and some games (32bit). 64bit is simply something that can count higher than 32bit, it means nothing to the average user.

Most people aren't going to utilise 64bit until they have no choice, the only way they're not going to have a choice is if all 32bit code is to stop production. dead.

And as for Longhorn being an interface over XP, you couldn't be further from the truth. Longhorn's a complete re-write of Windows (they really had no choice considering XP contains around 60 million lines of code and no on knows why, for reference sake OS X is 2.5 million lines and most linux ditro's weigh in at aroud 4million... if I remember right.)

Resaons that Longhorn won't be successful will be because people are happy with XP, which by 2007, they might not be, so that can change. Alternatively because people get bored of waiting and venture into other realms such as Linux or Mac OS X, doesn't mean they can't be swayed back though.

perris said:
speedy, according to channel 9, longhorn is an overlay of xp
Indeed. Most everything that made LH, LH has been dropped to meet the '06/'07 deadline. Longhorn will basically be XP Plus! that brings nothing really. :p

even though longhorn is an overlay of xp, they'll be able to do some substantial things in the 64 bit version of the operating system, and it will seem like a completely differant os even though it's not...they're also fine tuning and cleaning up the code

still, a glorigied user interface over xp...tuned better, (they say) but the nt kernel never the less.

Reality Check - The NT Kernal dates back to 1990. All Longhorn does is add 64 Bit extensions. Granted they are trying to optimize the ancient NT code but they've been beating that dead NT horse for a decade and a half. It just ain't gonna get up and gallop for them.

The amusing part is that they have been screwing with their new file system for 3-4 years and it has been indefinitely postponed from Longhorn. M$ needs to realize that it's time for a clean sheet design start on the 64 BIT software. You can't see the Kernel anymore for all the bandaides covering it.

On the other hand changing to AMD 64 BIT socket 939 hardware will immediately double your memory bandwidth giving major improvements in video and audio processing. So that upgrade is worthwihile.

leejend, to be sure, nt actually goes back to vms, and I believe the principles of vms came from somewhere before as well...nt is a great platform...change isn't always a good idea, and I think it'll be hard to improve on the base of nt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back