The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by BonyTony, Dec 14, 2002.

1. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ass!

Courtesy Of Rig @vcdhelp.com

2. allan

allan Guest

There is another, simpler method I've heard of (but not tried since I've never had the problem myself).

Just open NOTEPAD and then click on "OPEN". Navigate to the file in the little Notepad "explorer" window and right click on the .avi file and delete it. Supposedly that's will do it.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Hmmmm interesting allan. Must jot that down & give it a go when it's needed. :D

4. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Will try that also as i have had avi files that refused to go...they did in the end after a little persuasion:)

5. Hipster Doofus

A little? I think your avatar says it all with those damn files. :eek:

6. allan

allan Guest

The tip I suggested is for .avi's. I'm not suggesting it will work with other "undeletable" files.

7. DFX

DFX OSNN Senior Addict

That notepad trick works.

8. Ferretlovers

Ferretlovers Guest

Good Timing...

Good timing on this thread showing up here. I had a 3 hour high quality(wich means really big) avi I wanted to delete, but it just wouldn't go. Infact I was going to post about finding a way to do it, but you guys saved me the trouble.

Take Care, and Thank You,
    Mike

9. DFX

DFX OSNN Senior Addict

There is a program called Gipo MoveOnBoot which does the same thing... deletes the file or moves it/renames it when you restart your computer, but if you can do it without all the hassle why not?

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Thanks for the fix ... I'm sure it'll come in handy sometime :)

11. Hipster Doofus

That notepad tip is a gem. Now just have to remember it. :)