The DVD poll - which will you support?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ming, Dec 14, 2004.

?
  1. Blu-Ray (backed by Sony, Dell, Disney)

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. HD-DVD (Panasonic/Philips)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. DVD+/-RW (existing)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (existing)

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Yes, you must have heard about it on the news. But which would you support? :)

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I like Pioneer's UV discs. 500GB capacity can't be beat.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

anything non-proprietary and anything w/o the MPAA's grubby l'il hands all over em...

4. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

which looks to be blu-ray as I know they are backing HD-DVD

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

Whatever is cheaper. I still have never owned (or even watched one) a DVD player.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Blu-Ray is supposed to have more advantages. I could list them but I'm too lazy to go get the specs from another site to post here. Sorry! :p That being said, I'm for Blu-Ray.

I really hope that a format becomes standardized though. I'm afraid it will really hurt the adoption of the technology if there are competing formats.

7. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Truth be told I think to a point that as already happened since there are currently 2 formats though a burner that supports all formats would be the best idea

8. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Currently 'supporting' dual layer discs, however blu-ray sure does sound fun :D

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

hehe, I just realized my error. I have a DVD+RW/+R in my computer. I just never owned or watched a home, stand alone, DVD player

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Blu Ray has more upside potential for capacity. When they drop from $300 to $69 bucks like the 16X Dual Layer drives have in the last 6 months I'll get one...

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I couldn't vote Blu-ray as I wanna see Sonys PS3 go belly up. :devious: Also Disney is on it's way down I believe.

12. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Good point about Disney being associated, but I'm hoping they will go belly up and leave the consortium.

13. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I hope none of the catch on any time soon, cause they'll just re-release all the current DVDs for that format. That will probably kill the market (one of the fastest growing mrkets ever) since so many people have invested so much money in them, they will feel cheated and not buy any more

14. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Good point, Khayman, but I read that this probably won't be the case for a LONG time to come. Hi-def DVDs will only be made for the most part for new releases, definitely side-by-side with a normal DVD just as DVD and VHS have been released together in the past. Companies have invested so much in re-releasing older movies in the DVD format that they're not about to go and re-re-release them all in the hi-def format. In the way that HD, digital and analog TV all co-exist today, the same will be true for a long time to come with the storage media.

15. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Same here,I'm waiting for the DVD Recorders to drop in price before I buy one :)