The clueless user

Discussion in 'Funny Farm' started by Son Goku, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

http://www.shadowstorm.com/tech_support/volume1.htm

OK, so how did this caller send this eamil? ROFL, knock, knock, anyone home?

ET phone home, no workie :D

Then the irate caller:

2. Qoiny

Qoiny Custom User Title:

Hehe...!
    Hello by the way, OSNN. (Been here since Xp-erience. :cool: )
    Know what you mean far to well, got a phone call from a 40+ guy from Iran the other day (barely knew either swedish OR english) who wanted to set up a 4 computer network on win95, only problem was that his computer knowledge ended BEFORE the start button on the case started... (not to forget his "i know it all, and far better than you attitude" )
    :rolleyes:

3. Yharn

Yharn meh.

had a girl called me at work the other day....(i work for tech support at my university), and was asking why the wireless internet wouldn't work on her computer. well i explained that there isn't wireless internet in her dorm room that it is only in common area such as lounges, classrooms, and dinining areas. She insisted on arguing that the wireless was everywhere and that she knew that she could get it but it was our fault that she wasn't. So i instructed her to go to lounge and try and give me a call back. She then explained that she had a desktop and that she couldn't. So I had her list the network devices from device manager. (She didn't have a wireless card). She explained how she had just spent 3 hours running her "wireless internet cable" up the wall for good reception and she wasn't connected.

She had run her ethernet cable ( a 50 ft one) all over her ceiling to get a good wireless signal not realizing that she could have plugged it into the jack that was less than 4 ft from her desk.

when i explained to her what she had done she was very embarassed about it and apologized for getting ****ty on the phone, but wow was that one of the funniest things i've had to deal with...

4. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

he he :cool:

5. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Running an ethernet cable up to the ceiling- I cna understand a cable going through a hole via the attic, but having coils of it on the ceiling itself? Would've been a sight :)

However, I remember myself commiting some of the stupidest computer acts way back- case in point with directory paths <shudder>

Edit: Actually, to be honest, I don't think i'm too clued up even today :eek:

6. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Slightly OT, but if you remember your old user name...you might be able to inform a mod who you were, and they might be able to restore your stats from old acct to current. Seem to remember something about that. Perhaps they can tell you more about that...

ROFL

Depending on the length of the cable run to her dorm, this could make matters worse, rather then "improve reception" :D There are cable length limitations on an ethernet run... Ah well, gives a good laugh :D

7. Yharn

Yharn meh.

yeah...currently we only advise students to use cables 25ft or under...depending on the location of room and switch we have had cases of students using cables that are too long causing thier internet to not work.