The big, fat audio thread.

the nforce soundstorm story goes something like this (feel free to correct me if you think something's wrong).

1) Soundstorm indicates a Nvida certified digital out. This is the only available audio device that will encode a signal to dolby digital (5.1) in real time and output it via the spdif.

2) The analog sections is normally a 6 channel Realtek ac97 chip.

The highest quality is from the spidf out.

breezie said:
i have a sound blaster live and the Cambridge FPS2000 speakers - perfect for my computer and i really dont need loud insane quality such as klipsh.

on a side note if you guys have CompUSA in your area- i highly recommend the EV SonicXS 2.1 Hardcore--- they have over 240 watts of power and are rated to be awesome on many sites. my brother got a pair and they louder and clearer then any speaker set under 100 bucks. They retail for over $180 on CompUSA's homepage and will be found for over $100 at other stores like microcenter. But here's the catch...

if you buy them in store.... they cost $50

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...00754E617F&product_code=50223679&pfp=external

those speakers dont seem to be avaliable in stores anymore. :(

dreamliner77 said:
the nforce soundstorm story goes something like this (feel free to correct me if you think something's wrong).

1) Soundstorm indicates a Nvida certified digital out. This is the only available audio device that will encode a signal to dolby digital (5.1) in real time and output it via the spdif.

2) The analog sections is normally a 6 channel Realtek ac97 chip.

The highest quality is from the spidf out.
soundstorm is kind of hard to define. some boards mention it but actually don't have it. some don't mention it and do. like i can't get a straight answer on whether the sn45g2 has it or not.

soundstorm also has support for eax 1 and 2 which is the biggest selling point for me. sound quality is about on par with an audigy.

Running an audigy 2 Platinum, With the Creative inspire 6.1 speakers, this is amazing in games and movies, but the speakers suffer a bit in the mid-range when you are listening to some types of music. I use the creative drivers that i personally prefer due to the games support and ease of use.
Wanting to upgrade to the new audigy 2 zs pro (the platinum equvilent) for the dts decoding when i can afford it and when i finish uni i fancy the new creative gigawork THX 7.1 speakers....... :)

indyjones said:
Running an audigy 2 Platinum, With the Creative inspire 6.1 speakers, this is amazing in games and movies, but the speakers suffer a bit in the mid-range when you are listening to some types of music. I use the creative drivers that i personally prefer due to the games support and ease of use.
Wanting to upgrade to the new audigy 2 zs pro (the platinum equvilent) for the dts decoding when i can afford it and when i finish uni i fancy the new creative gigawork THX 7.1 speakers....... :)

How much did the whole setup run you?

Search Nvidia's site. They have a list of "certified" soundstorm boards.

Taurus said:
soundstorm is kind of hard to define. some boards mention it but actually don't have it. some don't mention it and do. like i can't get a straight answer on whether the sn45g2 has it or not.

soundstorm also has support for eax 1 and 2 which is the biggest selling point for me. sound quality is about on par with an audigy.

It isn't needed

Stop reading all the so called "audiophile" BS sites.

(the only possible thing burn in could help with is extra, extra stiff surround material.)

dreamliner77 said:
It isn't needed

Stop reading all the so called "audiophile" BS sites.

(the only possible thing burn in could help with is extra, extra stiff surround material.)

Regardless of if it's needed or not, I would still like know how to do it.

What does "burning in" actually do?

Black-Syth said:
Regardless of if it's needed or not, I would still like know how to do it.

What does "burning in" actually do?
basically what dreamliner said; supposedly help loosen up stiff surrounds (the flexible material around the cone that holds it in place but allows it to move up and down). i wouldn't count on it making any kind of real difference in sound at all.

Black-Syth said:
Niice.

Does anyone have any idea on how to "burn in" speakers and headphones?

Place Speakers in oven at gas mark 6, cook for one hour or until a nice "golden" colour :D

Sorry ! :rolleyes:

On a serious note I did not know you could burn speakers in

Taurus said:
basically what dreamliner said; supposedly help loosen up stiff surrounds (the flexible material around the cone that holds it in place but allows it to move up and down). i wouldn't count on it making any kind of real difference in sound at all.

Well, how is it done?

Black-Syth said:
Well, how is it done?
my guess is it would involve a certain test sound being played at a loud volume for an extended amount of time. maybe it would be really low (~20hz) so you wouldn't actually hear it. i dont know, i've hardly heard of the concept.

Black-Syth said:
Niice.

Does anyone have any idea on how to "burn in" speakers and headphones?

it basically means, dont put the volume to 100% for the 1st few days. like dont buy a new car and redline it off the forecourt. :rolleyes:

Speaker burn in:

Usually consists of feeding pink noise to the speakers at roughly 50% of rms rating for a predetermined amount of time.

A 20hz signal would surely destroy most speakers.

I'm planning on getting a huge, expensive sound system. One where I could hook up killer tweeters, woofers, etc etc. What reciever can amplify sound accurately for car Subwoofers?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back