Text file needs defined fixed width

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by zapoqx, Oct 5, 2010.

1. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

I'm making a text file that is supposed to be a guide. The problem is that I need it to have a fixed width and I don't mean "make use of Wordwrap in your text editor." As an Example:

And turn it into something like this:

So is there an easier way to do this besides going back through all my current text and pushing Enter at an appropriate looking line?

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I don't think the text file is that sophisticated, I think you need to put it into a word processing program

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Yeah, you can't do that with a text file editor. You have to use a rich text editor like word pad or office, or some other sort of office program ..

4. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Well I need it as text file which is why I couldn't go with the office unless it has a method to do what I need it.

I guess an example to show that is on one of the FAQs over here:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/960512-halo-reach/faqs

As it stands, my document will not have word wrap when posted online.

P.S. No, Just used whatever was on the top 10 games link for the purpose of this sample.

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Those examples are not plain text.

6. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

how so?
    Clicking the first FAQ, on the top has a view/download original and goes to:
    halo_reach_a.txt
    I figured it is text. Not HTML.

I did discover a way to do it and although it was a painful method, it involved using CutePDF writer and GetDiz. Using Get Diz, I set the print preview to have margins and to keep word wrap on that so I make the margins closer together to where I want it. Then I use CutePDF printer to print the document with the margins. Finally I copied and pasted the texts that had the margin fix in. Only problem was it couldn't detect line spaces so I had to make sure that was entered correctly.

7. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Why not build it in word with the margins set as you want it and save it as a plain text document with the "insert Line Breaks" option checked?

zapoqx likes this.
  8. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

nice

I was going to suggest composing in word but didn't think the breaks would paste, from your post I see there is an option for that

kewl

9. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

wow. That would have made it easier. I didn't think about trying that feature and seeing if it works. I'll attempt to make a mental note of that and use that instead should I ever try and do that again... thanks!