Testing Media

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I put this topic here because it has to do with finding out if it is my DVD-RW drive or not.

Lately there has been a problem with my drive. At one point DVDFlick could not find my DVD ROM Drive, then once it did, got to the burning stage and says medium not found. Meaning the dvd discs. Now I just got a new bunch of dvd blank discs. I was wondering how do I test to see if they are any good, or if my DVD Drive is dying?

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

try cleaning the drive, see if there is a firmware update for it, if you are burning iso's give imgburn a go, it does a few checks on the drive and disc before it burns, if that throws up and error it tells in an easy to understand way :)

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Also, try uninstalling the ide channel that your burner is on and letting windows redetect the hardware.

4. Bman

DVDFlick uses imgburn when it gets to the burning stage and it did not find the media. It also did not give any errors at all, not that I saw. I will try the uninstall when I get home.

So there is no software to test discs or drives?

5. Dark Atheist

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Nero CD-DVD Speed

7. Bman

So I downloaded and installed that. Clicked on there test media option, and it says "No Media Loaded". I did this with 3 different discs. That means there are totally crap?

8. Dark Atheist

i would say drive is on the way out

9. Bman

I'm pretty sure I have (and its only been used) for over a year. I do a lot of burning and ripping and all that, but a year?

10. Dark Atheist

i have had one die in 6 months, it depends on the burn speed you use, the higher the speed the sooner it goes, i still burn all my dvd-rs @ 4x same with cd-rs, dvd-dl 2.4 - 4x depending on the burners lowest setting for the disc

11. Bman

Are you sure it's the drive and not the discs? I just want to be 100% sure before I go get a new one.

12. Dark Atheist

it could be either, i had one drive here say the discs were bad when it was the drive failing, what you can do is fire up imgburn and make a note of the disc id - this will tell you who made them, just because it says something on the label doesnt mean they made them, then use google to check them out and see if they are goo or not, if everyone is saying they are crap - go get some different discs - would be the cheapest option, or if they say they are good, you either have a bad batch or your drive is knackered

example

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67

shows as TDK yet the label says they are made by someone else, looks like they have a license to use the dye is all

13. Bman

Well I just put in a normal music cd and ripped it 100% fine.

So I am guessing it is the media? I hope it is.

14. Dark Atheist

try a audio cd and original dvd, if they both play and rip fine then yes i would say iffy media, would also advise a firmware update to your drive though, that may enable it to read the media