telephone dial-up hackers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Jul 29, 2003.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

is it possible to be online using Dial-up, receive a phonecall that sounds like a modem, and have it connect to your computer and hack you?

i just got 3 calls like that sounded like modem sounds, and 1 call before i let it go through, and my 56k modem started to connect as if i started it or something, then failed to initiate a connection.

i didnt realize my 56k modem was plugged in, since i've been using DSL for the last year and a half.

2. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

LOL That's too funny, sorry...

3. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Yes it is VERY possible. This is how the OLD bbs's worked, and the principle has not changed. If you have a software firewall this shouldn't be an issue, but you can enable the widows firewall on your dial-up connection to help protect it.

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

urmm that could be a fax

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

or a pr0n dialer

6. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

That's what I was thinking too.

7. dubstar

dubstar format c:

but it tried to open my connection, i dont have a fax machine, or have fax software set up, so if it was a fax, i wouldnt have gotten it.

8. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Not so ENYO. I can use PCANYWHERE, dial the phone number that my pc in california is connected to and can make a connection. Now this is because I have remote access enabled on that machine. But again this is because I have remote access enabled and PCAnywhere installed. So it is VERY possible to do this. But if he dosn't have remote access enabled and configured, or any programs for remote access then you are correct they probley couldn't even make a connection, it would ring the modem, but there wouldn't be software or services to make a connection to so it would drop the connection.

9. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

Me too.

MdSalih

10. dubstar

dubstar format c:

when will Fax Machine makers get smart and enable some sort of DSL feature.