tcp ip settings?

you never specified what kind of high speed service you have i don' think, is it cable or dsl? If it's cable and the situation is as I believe it is, I would use the DHCP because it could cause conflicts later if you try to set an IP

PseudoKiller said:
quick question: are you running ICS and if so do you have DHCP running also?? and one more ... do you have 2 NICs in the one machine?? Sorry for the order if the questions but I will be able to help more with more info...
my connection is dsl and to connect it is login and password similar to dial up but not dial up :eek: I don't have ICS running and for DHCP i couldn't tell ya?..as for the NICs if u mean network cards yes i have one in each computer..

are you using PPOE software from your DSL provider??

I think you are fine as far as security is concerned. Make sure both machines are running a firewall then.

PseudoKiller said:
are you using PPOE software from your DSL provider??

I think you are fine as far as security is concerned. Make sure both machines are running a firewall then.
ya its ppoe and i have firewall on both but its the delay on bootup that bites..wanted to assign an ip on both computers to fix the delay but as for networking do i put the same ip in both computers?

Chase™ said:
ya its ppoe and i have firewall on both but its the delay on bootup that bites..wanted to assign an ip on both computers to fix the delay but as for networking do i put the same ip in both computers?
cant do that... each computer needs to have its own IP. Unless you are running with a router (that thing you posted isnt a router) and then you can hide both computers behind it (router) and assign them LAN IP's and NAT your network. The router should support PPOE (most of the newer routers do) and they have built in firewalls. But if your running software firewalls it can be fine also. :D

PseudoKiller said:
cant do that... each computer needs to have its own IP. Unless you are running with a router (that thing you posted isnt a router) and then you can hide both computers behind it (router) and assign them LAN IP's and NAT your network. The router should support PPOE (most of the newer routers do) and they have built in firewalls. But if your running software firewalls it can be fine also. :D
Well i think i will invest in a router i think they are pretty cheap now..
thx alot for all the info :)

Chase™ said:
Well i think i will invest in a router i think they are pretty cheap now..
thx alot for all the info :)
it would save you and us a lot of headaches :) and they are pretty cheap now too. Worth the money... If you are in the market I have one cheap ... it is a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router/gateway Its about a year old. I now use the Linksys WRT51G... so far so good. I am very happy with Linksys products.

I dont know if this will clear up some confusion. I use Shaw high speed cable at home. With each account you always get 2 ips even though I am using a linksys Wrt54g router. I believe most adsl isps do the same. One thing to watch, when the provider comes snooping (and they all do ) using a hub will reveal all as far as # of comps goes. If your looking into routers, do a lot of research if you plan to go wireless or use anything fancy like VPN. With my router third party firmware was the only solution to lousy wireless range.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back