tar.gz

• Thread starter Athalonxp1800gu
  • Start date
A

Athalonxp1800gu

Ok i know this isnt a linux forum but i cant find my answer anywhere. I want to open a tar.gz file. I was going to get pkzip or something to do it with but it is a tar.gz file also....any tips or any forums you know of? I also need help installing rpm packages.....thanks

Windows Commander will open tar.gz files.

www.ghisler.com

I believe you can also get a plugin at this site for handling RPM's.

Just thought of something, if you're working inside Linux then you want to look on the Linux sites for a package called TKZip. It won't install RPM's but you can view the contents and unpack them I think. It will handle tar.gz files very nicely.

Open it on Linux or Windows?

If its Linux, just use these commands

Tar-
tar zxvf file.tar.gz

RPM (if supported, not all distros have RPM only RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE have it preloaded)-
rpm -i file.rpm

If your talking Windows, WinRAR can open the tar.gz file. I don't think Windows can open a RPM package

JJB6486

A .tar.gz is a GZIPed TAR file. To extract it on linux use

gunzip myfile.tar.gz

That will give you myfile.tar. Then use

tar xvf myfile.tar

to extract the contents of the tar file. To see what is in the file before untarring use

tar tvf myfile.tar

BobTheBuilder:

"tar zxvf file.tar.gz" will gunzip automatically. The "z" switch in the tar command automatically does the gunzip part for you. Makes it easier to only need one command.

JJB6486

JJB6486:

Blimey, the saying is true. You learn something new every day.
Cheers JJB6486

For Windows:

WinRAR or WinACE (I recommend WinRAR)

For Linux:

The code is listed above.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back