System upgrade

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by wolfshade2002, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Hi Guys I am looking to upgrade my current system:) And im kind of a noob at this:( Id like to know all the best stuff I could put in this system with my current mobo in place money not being an issue lets say. And I know if money is not an issue that I could just get a new system I just want to know the best stuff to put in is all.. (note) I have never done a bios update nore have I ever formatted and reinstalled windows to date that is Id like to get all the comonents then do a fresh install. This is what I have I would like to know what I can do with it.

Processor(s)
    Model : AMD Athlon(TM)Processor
    Speed : 1.33GHz
    Model Number : 1333 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR1773 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC synchronous write-back

System Mainboard
    Bus(es) : AGP PCI USB
    MP Support : No
    System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7A266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
    System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7A266
    System Chipset : Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi) ALI M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
    Installed Memory : 256MB

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive : MAXTOR 6L040J2 (37.3GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-16102B (CD 106X Rd, 16X Wr)
    CD-ROM/DVD : LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 (CD 48X Rd) (DVD 6X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Hard Disk (C:) : 37.3GB (22.0GB, 59% Free) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2
    Human Interface : HID-compliant game controller
    Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : Creative SB Live! Value
    Device : Creative Game Port

Communication Device(s)
    Device : Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem

Printers and Faxes
    Model : Lexmark Z23-Z33

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Ver 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1

Network Adapter(s)
    Networking Installed : Yes
    Adapter : D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter

Sorry about the length and thank you so much in advanced If you need more info I will post it later as for now I got to go to work..

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

if money's not an issue, then i would replace your motherboard. yours is based on an ALi chipset which just isn't that good compared to the excellent VIA and Nforce2 chipsets that you can get nowadays. if you want to get a pentium 4 setup instead, that opens up a whole other world of choices.

your sound card, network card, modem, dvdrom, burner, and harddrive don't really need to be upgraded. if you're happy with all of those, by all means, keep them. you can add another harddrive if you want more space.

your video card could surely be upgraded. how much are you willing to spend in this case? this component could cost you anywhere between $120 and $400 for a good one.

3. Thanks taurus! I am happy with my dvd-rom and cd burner for now I am going to get a new HD and sound card. I would like to know the best mobo thats out there right now and the upgrade-ability because when I had my computer put together I guess I got taken I ask them to put one in that would have future upgrade options. Well then maby its time to jump into a new computer In that case im still left with the delemma what can I do with my current one (ie)video,ram,prossesor perhaps and whats the best stuff out there out there mobo/cpu/video/ram/psu right now.. Amd/Pentium Ati/Nvidia I see all the rival threads back and forth that dosent matter to me I just want a kick ass system. Im going to try and put this one together myself this time forget getting screwed over this time (mind you im happy with my comp right now but ill need better for the future) and perhaps any cases or fans. I know this is alot but I really want to get all of your input..Everyone on NTFS is always so helpfull. And thanks again