System shut down with beeps!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NightHawk_450, Jun 15, 2004.

1. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

hello
    I am running windows xp Pro on a amd 2800XP, Gigabyte 7vt600 mobo...512 megs of ram and a nvidia 5200fx with the newest omega drivers...

the system sometimes shuts itself off while beeping....one occurance it beeped 3 times....another time it had one short beep followed by a long beep, and this repeated 3-4 times.....everytime it shut off...I think it is cpu heat related....but there was 2 diddferent types of beeps.....help!!! needed

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

take a look in your motherboard's manual, it will probably have a list of what the different beep codes mean.

3. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

It does sound like cpu heat related. Is your heatsink firmly attached to your cpu, and the fan spinning freely?

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Or better yet, look at your CPU temperature in bios. Use MBM (mother board monitor), the utility that came with your MB, or next time it crashes go to bios at boot and check it there.

5. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

yeah....seems I am running a little hot....guess I should look for a new heatsink....the fan is spinning freely....the sink sems pretty damn small for this processor....well i will get a new one and give it a whirl....let ya guys know...thanks :)