System Restore

W

WiredBrain

I've created a lot of restore points. How can I delete them ?

Right click my computer\properties\system restore. Turn it off. Reboot. Turn it on.

Goto start /All programes/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup
/More Options/system restore (clean up)

Actually, I only wanted to delete certain restore points and not all of them ...

yeah wanna do the same thing... but couldn't find anything

You cannot choose which restore points to delete, unfortunately :(

There are afew things M$ could of done better with system restore..
1st..the option to set the desination of the backups created, so you could move them to a more appropriate location.

2nd..the option to pick which restore points to delete.

:D

hold...I'll be back...there is a process to delete individual restores...hang

ok, this article will tell you how to gain access to the folder that contains your restore points..individually delete from there

I've never done this, and though I know tons of people have actually asked for this information, I don't know anyone that's done it.

here's a bit of minutia...two weeks after xp was released, I ws the very first person to ask this question on the internet...i went to every forum and help site I could find...

...back then, no one knew the answer...

that's how I became involved with xp forums, and this board

I still haven't tried this

here is the fater way to delete system restore's points..double click on my computer- choose the hard disk that has XP ( with right click) choose disk cleanup- more options- that is all!!!

once you deleted them you can make your own restore point...go to restore point from system tools :)

by the way...if you have one point or 100 points..they are all the same..their job is keeping your OS files...not 3d parties ones.

To all what I've ever heard and to my experience this is not true. If you open up C:\System Volume Information\restore .. You will find there a lot of hidden folders called RP31,RP32 and on. I assume RP means RestorePoint. On my computer I have 42 of them since June26th when I last cleared Restorepoints. In several cases there are three from the very same day. The size varies from 50 to 70Mb. A total of 15634 files in 173 folders at a total size of 3,13Gb compressed to 1,78Gb. The dates of the RP folders correspond to the dates given for restore points in system restore. So they should be independent. But I don't dare to clear them separately either. Really noone here who tried it and knows what would happen. We need a volunteer.

So, there is no proven and reliable way to do this task ...

we don't know...it looks like what yoyo just posted is the way to do it...but nobody knows anyone that's tried it...I think it can be done, butyou're on your own

Originally posted by Octopus

by the way...if you have one point or 100 points..they are all the same..their job is keeping your OS files...not 3d parties ones. [/B]

That's not true. System restored back up my Nero and other programs.

What I want to find out is after I did a restored, how do I clean up by deleting files that were created after the restored point. :)

I just posted this question in a microsoft newsgroup. Here is the answer I've got:
No you can not delete individual check points.
Manually massaging the SR data store will cause problems.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Originally posted by stuy_b
wHAT DID i SAY!!.. no body listens!! LOL

you said it, from now on, I'll say it too

You cannot choose which restore points to delete, unfortunately

it's very funny how often I've seen support sites post that it can be done...very funny indeed.

I wonder if this thread will change this missinformation...not likely, but maybe.

I'm tempted to delete a couple just to see what problems occur

ahha...dirk reformats every 7 hours...

hey dirk...if you read this, before you do your next reformat...do us a favor...delete a coupla restore points...let us know what happens:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back