System Restore Question

2Z - I am a bit confused with your comments:

Isn't what you said the same as asking why does Drive Image 2002 images contain trojans/virii - why does a 3rd party Image program you have to pay for copy trojans/virii? Why does it not simply use a ref list - since that's the way you'd handle it!

Also since I got ya upset with me already - perhaps if a Drive Image (not back-up)Program and a Virus scanner were included in the OS - then I guess you wouldn't complain about paying an extra (for the sake of arguement say) $150 for your OS?

Perhaps if I told you why Nav 2002/2003 does not scan your restore points and also how to enable NAV 2002/ 2003 to scan your restore points, then you would consider using System Restore?? <I use NAV as an example - as I am familiar with their operation - don't know squat about the other antivirus programs>

There are also certain things you should do (as far as System Restore goes) after detecting any trojan/virii and cleansing it from your system. Interested?

LMAO - allan - ya beat me to it by a minute!

Come on 2 Z - smile - we are not picking on ya!:D :D

Originally posted by allan
Regarding the question about Restore Points being made at shutdown - no, I believe it's quite the opposite. The Restore Point is made at startup not shutdown - if it's been at least 24 hours since the last restore point was created. When the system shuts down it's saving any file changes that need to be saved for the next time you open that file or start the system (including window positions, etc).

I agree with you on a restore point not being made at shutdown.

I disagree (and normally get into trouble by doing so ;) ) about a restore point being made at startup. I have shut down my system totally - pulled the plug - when I have made trips for vacation etc (system idle for more than 24 hours) and have not seen a new restore point. I don't ever recall leaving my system plugged in, but not booted for more than 24 hours - so don't know about that scenario?

IMHO - the reference yoyo included is the correct info on when restore points are created.

are we still on this?...I thought this was cleared up, with the postd and excerpt yoyo provided of dy legendary post.

system restore doesn't create a restore on startup, though it is set to create a restore every twenty four hours, it will only do this if you leave the box idle for the time neccessary for xp to decide to do it

it creates a restore point when the system is deemed to be idle, and, as allan shows in the paper that he provides, if it can, it create the point every twenty four hours...but only if the computerr is idle for the correcect periond of time while you have it on......if the system is not idle, no retore is created.

the restore is designed to appear as a benign benefactor, which you will not notice untill you need it.

if restores were created on start up, the slow down would not be confortable

LOL @ DY

/giggles while posting

never use a virus scanner (no need for one)

I've had 1 x virus (5 x yr ago from a dodgy floppy)
& 1 x trojan (last year downloaded during a momentary lapse of reason) which was promptly backed up by restore.

I knew something was amiss by the appearance of a new process in task manager.

A google search revealed I had a trojan & left detailed instructions on how to be rid of it. (not realising that a there was a back up of it in restore carried on computing)

Some time later after doing a restore for one reason or another the trojan returned went through the same process again, still not realised thats its still in restore

After this happening a third time enough is enough
time to get a good real-time virus scanner to work

And there it is in restore - thats it for me I didn't like restore too much to start of with - so I never used it again

/me still smilin DY

system restore is like a built protection in principle its a good idea - but in reality its quite a messy affair

M$ have had 18 years to get it right why OH why do they make us suffer inferior products :p

/me wonders what new problems sp2 will unleash on us :p

/not to mention longhorn & later DRM *its just a nightmare away*

LMAO :p :p :p

keeps it interesting

:cool:

longhorn will fail

xp is too good, and longhorn will improve not n=much.

just like users with 2000...no reason to switch to xp...same thing, from xp to longhorn.

if you own ms stock, sell it immediately after or just before longhorn is releases...disclaimer, read my prospectus before investing.

the next os revolution will be an os that is almost exclusively used without mechanical memory.

mechanical memory will be installed for storage purposes alone, and the % of mechanical harddrive will be reduced every year, and this will be the next marketing strategy of ms, to get us to buy a new os every coupla years.

dealer has spoken

perris agrees with dealer

Longhorn is going to blast NT5 out of the water IMHO

XP & NTFS is just a stepping stone for a real OS

who knows I might even ditch FAT for the new XML filing system

:p :p :p

Originally posted by damnyank
I agree with you on a restore point not being made at shutdown.

I disagree (and normally get into trouble by doing so ;) ) about a restore point being made at startup. I have shut down my system totally - pulled the plug - when I have made trips for vacation etc (system idle for more than 24 hours) and have not seen a new restore point. I don't ever recall leaving my system plugged in, but not booted for more than 24 hours - so don't know about that scenario?

IMHO - the reference yoyo included is the correct info on when restore points are created.
You are right of course DY, bad phrasing on my part. Restore points are created as soon after startup as possible (when system is idle) if it has been at least 24 hours since the last one was created.

Originally posted by dealer

if you own ms stock, sell it immediately after or just before longhorn is releases...disclaimer, read my prospectus before investing.

dealer has spoken

perris agrees with dealer

Having read said prospectus, Iceman just bought some more MS stock,

that is all

god, you have to love a sense of humor

cool.gif

Restore Useless!!!

LMAO. I find it amusing that so much time is wasted on the most useless part of the XP OS. System Restore is entirely unreliable and was one of the first things I removed from the OS over a year ago. Far to many things like virus scanners and disk optimization delete restore points at will. Not very effective nor very reliable. Anyone,and Dealer I do mean anyone, who relies on System Restore as a viable means of backing up their sytem is a fool. Microsoft chose to hide the much superior and more effective utility on the disk here. valueadd\msft\ntbackup. Once you learn how to set it up and use it you will never again rely on the space wasting and fical system restore. I suggest turning it off and deleting it from your system. Hopefully the next OS(Longhorn) will have improved this tool.

nice post Fungiver :D

I've seen the backup utility but never used it :eek:
(I can say the same for the rest of M$ little addons)
(*I've seen it but never used it*)

/I prefer to do my backing up with a nice and easy to use point n click interface

powerquest driveimage 2002

:cool:

NT Backup

NT Backup is not really an add on. It is actually part of the orignal XP programming but was not included in the .exe. Why? Only MS knows. NT Backup is a simple point and click interface but the one short coming is that it does not do disk spanning. I only want to make sure that everyone has the option of not using the useless system restore that is unreliable and that MS chose to include and have an easy and superior option.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back