System restore folder

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by toxicity, May 12, 2003.

1. toxicity

toxicity Guest

Im trying to delete some of my old restore points to save up some space. When i double-click on the System Volume Information, i get "access denied" message. is there a way to get around this so i can delete these files?

2. Ok I'm not sure but I know you can turn off your system restore and turn it back on and it starts out fresh. ( I know this is not the greatest answer but its a start) please note im kinda a noob...:)

3. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

use disk cleanup to delete all but the last restore points

right click on your c: drive > properties > cleanup > more options
    system restore > cleanup

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

yep thats the best way to do it

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

contrary to what some sites have posted in the past, you cannot selectovely delete restore points.

you can delete them all

or you can delete all but the last one.

or through some effort, you can delete in sequence on;y the most recent, or the most distant, and forward or backward, in sequence

in addition, you can not save preferred restore points, as they are eliminated in sequence, over time.

eeach restore relies on the previous restore, and all restores before that...so even the os can only delete the most distant resote.

my favorite suggestion is to reduce the amoount of space available for system restore to be used in the first place

6. toxicity

toxicity Guest

Alright, thx guys. just what i was looking for

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

And if you nevertheless want to have a look inside the folder, now that you know that you can't delete things there liberately, or want to know how much space the System Volume Information takes (it is displayed as zero bytes now, right?), open a command window and type: cacls /?.
    You'll find out how to gain access to this folder.

8. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Nice post dealer - ;)

9. Well I did try at least..lol

10. Perris Calderon

I couldn't have done it without your great original post with the ms whitepaper dy

11. Perris Calderon

your answer was a fine respose as well.

welcome and stick around to our great board, and help to make it better wolfshade2002

12. welcome and stick around to our great board, and help to make it better wolfshade2002

:happy: Thanks Dealer you know I will..