System restart problems need help!!

M

mafia-man

Just recently when ever i shut my pc down it restarts itself. Ith fully turns off and powers down but abt a second later it turns on again then powers up.

Everything else runs perfectly but i have to unplug the system n plug it back in just to keep it off :(

my system is:
Asus A7V333 mobo 1.1GHz duron
Asus Geforce fx 5600 graphics card
512MB PC2100 ram

If u guys need further details let me know please.
Would apreciate ne help at all

Mafia-man

Based on what your describing, I would take a look at your momentary power switch on the case. reseat the connector to the mobo and inspect the PWR SW wiring to be sure it's not shorting. The power switch is a "momentary" type and may be shorting or sticking (does the switch feel like likes it's working smoothly).

If your system is not completely powering down- ie "warm booting" then it's a software (XP) issue. Hit the Murkysoft Knowledge base as this is a known issue and there is a patch available to correct the problem.

Mafia-man

Second reply. Just checked the M$$ KB. I may have given you bad info- there are some issues which could cause this behavior but none seem to fit exactly. Are you using Roxio CD Creator? KB article 306811 addresses an issue with this program that sounds kind of similar to what you're describing.

I seem to recall some earlier posts at this forum which may have addressed this issue.

Sorry I haven't been able to be more helpful.

no the system does a full shut down powers off for a few secs then starts up again :( dun use roxio either

Check the power management settings. Stuff like restart after power failure set to NO.

Are you shutting down through the start menu "shutdown option"

And here is the one that drives my wife nuts. If I use the "restart" option under turn off computer when doing maintenance and forget to change it back to the "shutdown" option she will sit there and click turn off with "restart" as the option for hours....

Choices are shutdown, restart and logoff. This may only be a win 2000 thing but check it.

XP comes up with a pretty little dialog box saying "standby, turn off, restart" on mine, for example. I'm not sure whether the presence of this dialog is related to fast user switching or the new XP themes. Most likely most closely related using the welcome screen and fast user switching.

Ok once again this has nothing to do with xp as the actual system powers of for a few seconds then restarts. Even if i physicaly use the power button.

Seems my comp is getting lonely n dun want me to turn it off.

That could still be a combo of bios settings and XP power management.

One of the power management options is "what should the system do when you hit the front panel power switch". The front panel "power" switch is NOT really a power switch! It is a momentary pushbutton that sends a logic command trhough the motherboard to the power supply and to windows.

If power management is set to "soft off", "sleep", etc. when the power button is hit you can go into a restart. Check power management in hte Bios and in Windows. Many funcitons are duplicated.

The only real power switch is on the power supply at the back of the case. Turn that off and the CPU will go down and stay down.

I've personally had this problem as well as my Uncle. Good thing is we've both solved our problems.
For me I had set the PC to turn on on pressing any key on the keyboard (Bios setting). My keyboard has volume control which sends a continuous signal therefore restarting the PC upon shutdown :D
My Uncle had a raw speaker cable touching the case which shorted the power switch. Weird huh.
Hope this helps.

sounds like a driver causing the reboot instead of showing the bluescreen message at shutdown. do a google on xp shutdown troubleshooter before you try anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back