system power usage

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
Got a question for you. im looking it up as much as i can on hte net but i dont have time to do it all since im at work at the same time LOL.

so i ask here to see if anyone knows.

im totaling up power to see if i can change over a server

current server is
amd 2800 64
asus K8N4-E delux
1gb ddr
LOL 14hdd's (dont ask LOL)
Floopy
gigabit nic and one dvd rom

I am thnking about moving it over to a P3 system
its just a file server with max of 4 users. and processes some torrents.
same amount of hdd's
and ram just motherboard and CPU difference.
it would be a p3 1ghz cpu.

any ideas on what one would use less power?

P3 system will use less. A reality check is to look at the sze of the HSF required it tells the whole heat story. P3 HSF is tiny compared to the current ones.

good site. down side is that it does not have the p3 CPU of 1.13.

hmm well with the lowest p4 cpu its just 10 watts less. but it would be intresting to see what the p3 would use.

if there are redundant powersupplys in the case. do they take up extra power?

Last edited by a moderator:
From a review at SharkyExtreme

The Pentium III 1GHz is manufactured using Intel's .18 micron six metal layer process. It uses a fluorine-doped SiO2 (SiOF) dielectric for reduced capacitance. Its 106mm^2 die, 4mm^2 larger than the AMD Athlon 1GHz, packs in 28-million transistors. It runs at 1.7V and dissipates 33W of power, which compares to 1.8V and 60W of power for the AMD Athlon 1GHz.

You're welcome :)
Hopefully with that and the calculator, you can equate roughly how much those 14 HDDs are sucking up :p

if they are old ide near 10-15w i think - think new sata drives are 5w each

i think im going to cut down the hdd's and also get some new 750gb drives today so i can have fewer devices and same space.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back