System maintenance scheduling

megaman

OSNN Newbie
Hi people..
It has become a real pain to schedule tasks on my home network. what do you people do to automate defrag, updates and virus checks? i am working on windows xp and have increasingly become wary of ms scheduler!

If you are not happy with MS scheduler, you need to utilize other options.

First, I assume "updates" are relating to Windows Updates. Ensure these are turned on and can either prompt you to install or set a timer to install them. This can be configured by going to the Control Panel and double-clicking Automatic Updates.

Most Anti-Virus applications have an option to schedule updates/scans, instructions would vary depending on your app of choice.

In regards to defragging, again if you don't want to use MS Scheduler, you would need a 3rd party defrag utility or a type of batch file to schedule based on boot counts. If you want to use an app, I recommend Executive Software's Diskkeeper, which allows something called Smart Scheduling for Defragmentation. It will actively monitor the amount of "fragmentation" and defrag as needed.

Hope that helps, and btw, welcome to OSNN :)

hi

that's a good idea: to use a batch file to keep count of boots and then defrag based on that. have you used the diskeeper software u mentioned?

i don't want to go in for an automatic update system because ms sometimes pushes down things that border on spyware.. so i'm a bit wary of that.

thanks for the warm welcome and all the help :)

In regards to defragging, you could follow this syntax:

------------------------------------
Usage:
defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
volume drive letter or mount point (d: or d:\vol\mountpoint)
-a Analyze only
-f Force defragmentation even if free space is low
-v Verbose output
-? Display this help text
------------------------------------

So essentially, make a file called defrag.bat and have this be the code:

defrag c: -f

Or a similar switch, pending your needs.

I have used diskkeeper and I love it. I also use the server edition which lets you push out the software and monitor fragmentation levels on networks.

I disagree with AU, but that is your call :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back