Sys Info folder after partition magic

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Aug 5, 2004.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Okay, here's the deal and my infinite stupidity. I merged two partitions (D &E)with Partiton Magic. All went smoothly. Except...

Apparenlty both partitions were primary partitions. So all the files on E were copied to a folder on the new combined D. Now I want to delete this folder. Any ideas how? Folder only contains the System Volume Information hidden folder. Seeing as it's no longer a partition, and just a folder, I'd imagine I can delete it.

I know someone will be able to walk me out of my stupid moment...

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

This is what I do when I have a stubborn file/folder that Windows won't let go of for deletion. From Task Manager stop the service 'explorer.exe,' this will kill your shell. Then from the pull down menus run a new task (File> New Task (Run...)) and type in 'explorer' which will re-launch your shell. Navigate back to the folder and try deleting it again.

The system folder in your merged partition folder should no longer be recognized by the system as such (a system folder) and something else must have it's hooks on it.

Good luck.

3. dreamliner77

Thanks Lonman but that didn't work.

I should mention that even if I change the folder from read-only, it immediately changes back. I don't think there is anything that should still be using this folder. I still can't delete it in safe mode.

The only idea I've had is maybe to boot from a bootdisk that supports NTFS and delete it from there. Anyone have any ideas about that?

4. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

I'm not sure about the boot disk but maybe.

I use a program called moveonboot it's freeware, it will move or delete anything before windows starts.

I have used it 4 or 5 times and it's worked great everytime.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

5. dreamliner77

Hmmm, interesting. Think I might give it a shot

Does anybody see any harm in deleting this folder?

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

What's the harm with just letting it be?

7. dreamliner77

My rectum-retentive OCD complex and desire for cleanliness. I hate stuff just floating around.

edit: a certain "a" word was edited out

8. dreamliner77

9. cryogenic

cryogenic OSNN Addict

I suppose you could have booted into safemode and used the "Administrator" account to delete it as well?