symantec corp antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Doom, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

For those in the know. In symantec antivirus corp edition it has file system realtime protection (scan files little by little in the background). I've noticed it slow's my pc down a little. If I turn it off will it still scan downloads and emails for viruses as they come down?

Thank's in advance

2. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

And by the way you guy's were right. This is much better than the other virus scaners (including the norton home ones). It found 2 viruses and a trojan that none of the others did.

3. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

In terms of detection rates SAV is no different from NAV. While I'm not sure if the engine is different the definitions are pretty much the same.

If you turn off real time protection the other features should still work, unless of course download scanning is part of the real time monitor!

Try it out with the EICAR test string www.eicar.org

A SAV use *looks at NetRyder* will be along shortly no doubt ;)

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

:D

I really don't know if SAV has better detection rates than Norton. As Enyo stated, they use the same definitions, but different engines. Unfortunately, like NAV, SAV doesn't detect packed virii either (*remembers Enyo's test files* :p)
    The only reasons I use SAV over NAV is because I have a licenced version of it, it uses less memory, and has an unlimited subscription that never expires.

About Realtime filesystem scanning...I haven't really noticed any slowdown, so it's been on from the time I installed it. I should try turning it off, and downloading the EICAR test, like Enyo said.

5. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Oh yes thats right :) Seeming as NAV and SAV both failed in that respect i would think there engines are the same, if not quite similar.

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I gather it's not been improved upon in that respect in 2004 either, right?

7. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Nope :rolleyes: