SVChost problem

B

bastupungen

I have an extremly annoying problem with the SVCHOST files...
When i start the computer it will run extremly fine until i do anything that tries to connect to the internet. then the computer goes extremly slow and the page i try to enter wont come up. then 20 sec later the page will come up and the comp will run fine...
i have identified the problem to SVCHOST... when i start anything connected with the internet then SVChost (network services) will use 99% of my system resouces... for 20 seconds...
I can quit that process and the comp will run fine but i have read that SVCHOST is an very important program and i dont think its too smart to shut it off... anyways..
have you guys heard of this before? is there and fix anywhere maybe? ...
im using XP pro...

Go into Adminsitrative Tools and open up Services. Look around in there for any services that shouldn't be running. If you don't know, it's probably best to leave it be. You could probably just STOP any services that you think might be causing the problem rather than completely DISABLING them. That way, if you goof up, a reboot should put everything back the way it was.

I can quit that process and the comp will run fine but i have read that SVCHOST is an very important program and i dont think its too smart to shut it off... anyways..
Seems like it can't be all that important. I have it blocked in Sygate (no outbound access). Works fine.

But even before I blocked it, I didn't have the problem you speak of.

Killing a process and restricting its internet access are different things.
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). So if you close it you may stop services you need.
(Information about svchost.exe can be found here)

The reason for the problem is most likely not svchost.exe, but one of the services run by it. Check eventviewer for error messages and look in Adminsitrative Tools - Services which services are run under the "network services" account. Then sort out those who are run by svchost.exe (BlackViper) . You will be able to narrow down the problem this way.

Further to what yoyo said note down the PID from task manager (need to go to view and select the PID column) of the instance of svchost that is causing the issue (multiple instances of the process exist, two or three)

Then drop into the command line and run " tasklist -svc ".

You can now see the services running under the process causing the issue and stop the appropiate services instead of hunting around.

e.g

svchost.exe 648

AudioSrv, CryptSvc, EventSystem,
lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, SENS,
ShellHWDetection, Themes, winmgmt

You now have the internal service names and stop/start them with net stop <service> or through the services MMC.

A couple of ways you can troubleshoot it then, i would trial and error with the info from tasklist's output.

YEY!!! i have had some progress!!! =D...
the service DNS CLIENT in services was started when i hadn't shut SVCHOST(network service) off... and when the SVCHOST was shutdown the DNS CLIENT service was not started...
so i tried to stop that service and now the computer runs fine...

so the DNS CLIENT is the bully... do i need that service in anyway or can i deactivate it?
By the way do anyone know what the *beep* caused this?

You can run without this service but if you are in a domain you should not and if you use IPSEC you cant.

Give it a shot in manual and monitor for errors.

DNS Client ~ resolves and caches DNS names and Active Directory domain controller functions. This service is not required for DNS lookups, but if it makes you happy to have it running, you may. However, DNS Client is required if using IPSEC. If you attempt to "repair" your network connection and a dialog box complains that the "DNS resolver failed to flush the cache", this service is the reason. If your computer connects to a network with a domain controller, you will be unable to connect to Active Directory with this service disabled. To reduce network traffic to your ISP's DNS servers, leave this service on automatic.

As for cause of this problem your cache settings may set incorrectly and be caching info for too long causing your system to have to check alot of entries in the local cache. Thats a shot in the dark. Check the settings of the keys talked about in that article.

If you have no problems with the service in manual your sitting pretty, if not you could lower the settings so that the cache is virtually empty.

It could also be a issue with your DNS Server and the responces it sends, you can always change this, you dont have to use the one on your ISPs network.

Uhum!
Hi there. I'm new to this forum but this topic is of slight interest to me. If some body could help, it would be appreciated.
My OS is Win 2k, but when I try and run 'tasklist -svc' in a command prompt window, I get the error 'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Is this command only for WINNT?
Any other suggestions to stop this svchost.exe error from happening would helpful.
Everytime it happens it does weird things to my pc.
For example, opening control panel and all is reversed. ie icons in the left window pane and blank on the right.
Or...I can't copy and paste links into an address bar...hell, I can't even disconnect from the net when finished. I need to re-boot.
Please help...
tks

tasklist is only for XP. You need to use tlist -s

thank you Enyo, but I think I may have found another reason why I am now getting this error....I have located a prog that seems to be running without me wanting it too.
It's called mblast.exe... :)
A whole different kettle of fish.

Perhaps the blast virus wasn't at fault, because I removed it and still have the same problem.
I tried tlist -s but it still will not recognize the command.
Is there anything else I can try?

tks
BV

msblast.exe

You will need to go to www.mcafee.com , they have a link to the virus that will tell you how to get this virus off your system.

You will have to delete the file as well as del a line in the register file.

good luck
:)

hey
i'm using win 98 and download a program off of winmx. when i opened it, it had planted this SVChost application on my comp. every time i start the comp. it starts copying file in a file under c:/windows/MyShares. i can't find in msconfig start up options, or the application it self. how am i supposed to get rid of it?

My os is windows xp home edition,when I run 'tasklist -svc' in a command prompt window, I get the error 'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file too .What shll I do?thanks

See your other thread here. Where i have linked you to the tasklist tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back