svchost.exe

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tinymonkey, Jun 17, 2004.

1. tinymonkey

tinymonkey OSNN Addict

What is it?

Is it really necessary to have four of them running at once?
    What does it do?

Thanks,
    tiny

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

It's normal. Here is what they do:

svchost.exe 748 - RpcSs
    svchost.exe 816 - AudioSrv, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc, lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Messenger, Netman, Nla, Schedule, seclogon, SENS, ShellHWDetection, srservice, TermService, Themes, TrkWks, uploadmgr, W32Time, winmgmt, WmdmPmSp, wuauserv, WZCSVC
    svchost.exe 920 - Dnscache
    svchost.exe 964 - Alerter, LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient

3. tinymonkey

tinymonkey OSNN Addict

alright....are all four necessary....could i get away with only running 2 or something like that?

4. muzikool

Why do you want to get rid of 2 of the processes? Do any of them appear to be hogging your resources? If so, then there is a problem such as a virus. You need all of them running because you need things like DHCP, DNSCache, LmHosts etc. Windows loads them because they are needed and they shouldn't have any effect on the performance of your system.

5. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

sophomERIC likes this.
  6. muzikool

You can disable services but you still need svchost.exe running to use the services that you need. BlackViper is a good resource for information on services, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest doing exactly what the guide says. I would definitely disable Messenger service and sharing services that aren't needed unless you're part of a network. Other than that though, I would leave everything else alone because most PCs won't be getting a performance hit from having them running.

7. tinymonkey

tinymonkey OSNN Addict

ok ill look through those sites...thanks guys

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah if you have 4 instances of svchost.exe running its because programs are using them ... terminating them will bork your program(s). Also be careful what services you disable as that can break stuff also.

9. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator