Surround Sound Bar

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bman, May 3, 2009.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

As you have all seen these days, those surround sound bars for tv setups. I don't know anything else about them.

I am wondering if they are available for PC's? And is the quality still good (i like quality sound, but some things I can't tell the difference) What are my options, suggestions.

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you can plug your pc into hi-fi receviers attached to surround bars, however true surround can only be given with speakers in 4 corners of the room. You get better sound for seperate speakers standing/mounted around the room too.

3. Bman

Yes I know that, it's just currently and for awhile, I can not setup 4 or more speakers the way they should be setup, and are quite annoying. So I'd like to get some kind of solution for surround sound, and not being a 2.1 setup.

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

well positined 2.1 can give a surround illusion in the right room

5. Bman

Once I get a computer working, I will be trying a 2.1 setup (using my 5.1 but only using 2.1 of it). See how that goes, but suggestions on a bar?

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'm only aware of a yamaha bar - I'm sure other leading hi-fi speaker makers have a bar too :)

I've not looked into it too much since I've just bought 2 mission bookshelf speakers to go at the rear and 2 mission floorstanders for the front on my pc/hi-fi setup.

7. Bman

What is mission?

*edit, never heard of them before....are they good quality?

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

British speaker manufacturer - very good quality :) The best speakers on earth come out of britain or Germany :)

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Missions are nice.

about the bars, though; they are made for home theater setups where you are sitting back away from the bar a good 6-12 feet. they count on this space to bounce the side/rear channels off the side or back walls to give the illusion of speakers there. if you have it mounted 2 feet in front of you, i'm not sure you'll get the same effect.

normal stereo headphones can do a good job of mimicking surround sound if you have a decent sound card. then there's actual surround headphones.

10. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

You are leaving out the Canadians, who themselves make speakers of very fine quality.

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I said the best speakers not just good speakers :)

12. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team