sunon GC054509VH - laptop fan to you!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mainframeguy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Hey guys... my ageing laptop had finally given out on the fan bearings - I guess three years folding will do that!

Anyways I have it in pieces on the coffee table and there is the fan in quesiton and the make and model is as in the subject.

I have found a states company that can supply and ship to me - they are called Allied Electronics (seem to be based in Texas) and they say it wil cost around $24 plus shipping and they will ship to my "collect account".

Can anyone tell me what kind of account a collect account would be?

Also is this a good deal for this fan? I only need the fan, not the associated heattube and sink etc... since it is just the bearing that is shot.

Your thoughts and simple advice appreciated - as always.

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I believe it to be a FED EX or UPS account. Maybe they use a small business type setup where you need a shipping carrier account?...hmmm email them and see?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Allied is an industrial supplier. They will only sell to business accounts.

Check with digikey they deal with individuals. They have a large selection of all size and type fans.

There must be a similar outfit in the UK. Radio Shack, Digikey, Frye's electronics in the USA. Check the ads in a UK computer magazine.

Option B is to see if your local computer shop can order a part for you and you do the install instead of paying them 100 pounds...

List of small suppliers:
    http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/text/suppliers.html

Note Arrow and Newark probably will not sell to an individual.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Just to close down this thread - and make it useful to boot....

I sort of gave up on tracking down a fan replacement that I a mere consumer could order - plus was tired of having laptop in pieces on my coffee table - so I applied a little household lube in the area of the fan bearings (was thinking WD40, but had none so used regular lube) and on reassembly lo and behold - the fan works again noiselessly and all is well! Of course I cannot guarantee this state of affairs will last or for how long, but I actually feel fairly confident things are actually BETTER than they were before....

So if anyone else hits probs like this I suggest not being afraid to dismantle your notebook - they are more user serviceable than you may imagine!

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I have a smililiar problem with my aunt's averatec and I found the fan on the allied site. I couldn't get it also because they don't ship to Canada.

Averatec wants $50 for parts, $100-$125 in parts and $15 to ship it back (not to mention I would have to pay to ship it there too).

I have taken the laptop apart already and if I could get the parts I could probably fix it myself.

One quirk tho, the VGA (thats what they called it) seems to be attached to the chip by what I'm guessing is a thermal compound glue, where could I get some and how can I take this heatsink/fan off?

6. Jodiva

Jodiva OSNN One Post Wonder

Hullo! I am VERY interested to know if your averatec is working...mine suddenly went "on strike" a week ago, and has been driving me crazy ever since! Currently, it is sitting on a block of ice, cooling down (yes, there's a towel between...).

Did lubricating the fan bearings continue to work? What kind of lubricant would you suggest?

The last major event before all the problems included two downloads - scheduled upgrades for two programs (one was Adobe Photoshop), but after reading several threads, I'm wondering if this was just a coincidence. I tried resetting to a different time (will only go back one week) but that won't even work!

Up until this issue, I was such a fan of my Averatec! I even convinced my fiance to purchase one!

Jodiva