suitable bussiness os???

Originally posted by PF Prophet
humm 500 what are your specs bet there in need of some help

Main Computer:

AMD XP 1800+
512 MB DDR Ram
Sis chipset ( This is what sucks about it )
40 GB HD
GeForce2 MX 440 ( Getting an upgrade )
Windows XP
Paid: $500

Server:

AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz
512 MB Sdram
DFI AK47-EC motherboard ( Via chipset )
40 GB HD
Crap PCI gfx card
FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE custom kernel
Paid: $200

Old PC:

500 Mhz
128 MB Sdram
Compaq propeirty motherboard
8 GB HD
Onboard vid
Test box, currently runs OpenBSD
Paid $900 ( Back in 1998 this was top of the line, and really expensive in switzerland )

Crashless ( Really old, got it from a friend ):

133 Mhz
64 MB ram
1 GB HD x 4
Dell motherboard ( Intel chipset )
Currently runs FreeBSD. Probably gonna switch this to a really watered down Linux and all it will do is for me to test firewalls and stuff.
Paid: $0, the school was throwing it out so i took it.

The above box i have 3 times, except the others have 32 MB ram.

There ya go, those are my specs. BTW, my main desktop i bought about 8 - 9 months ago. Server a few weeks ago ( Needed an upgrade instead of using the damn compaq. Didnt need to be high end ).

Xp vs. 2000 for a business?

My recommendation would be Linux.

1). The OS and the MS Office clones are significantly cheaper per desktop than Windows and Office.
2). Microsoft support is a farce unless you paln to buy support contratcs. So for either OS you will need an in house expert to provide support.
3). Once you have got the in house expertise each additional Linuk OS is free. The Linux based MS Office knock offs are ~ $100 bucks per desktop.
4). Multiple countries and municipalities are switching to Linux based open source products if you are concerned about legitimacy of the products.

But, if you just can't let go of the peanut, the company I work for has about 80,000 desktops installed. Our IT department tried XP on a couple servers and it crashed the network. It'll be a long time before we try XP again.

XP is better if you want a home system for gaming but there is a reason most companies are staying with 2000.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Penguin

Thank you! I'm ROFLMFAO.

If you will check your post you will notice that the second sentence is a question. I believe a sentence that is a question calls for a question mark at the end, not a period.

Well, actually it's the sentence following the fragment but I didn't want to nit pick.

:cool:

Thats comedy!

oh and what sis chipset and what board

acctuly i have had far less trobble with sis chipsets then via via has a bug in there pci set that cuts birst off at like 24 ware as sis dosnt have such a problem

you may want to re think you chipset being the problem i have run the 735 chipset at 166bus (333) without any problems

i have built a few systems with the newer 746 chipset(l7s7a2) and had zero problems and zero speed issues

you should look more at your video card then at the chipset the gf2 mx sucks my kyro2 is faster :) (yes i have has gf2 mx cards)

and i know you probbly like ur xp but try 2000 on it with updated drivers i bet you will find this will show far better preformance

i know you probbly think 2k isnt a good becouse its older but hate to have to point out that its also patched quite thuroly to the oint where its got less then 1/100th the reported bugs

i duno if ur having trobble with linux on that but i never had any trobble with sis/windows combo :)

xp is just 2k with more bull**** added pre feching dosnt help really it just allows the os to make up for the fact that it dosnt load all the vxd's and such on boot
xp boots quicker becouse it cuts corners to do such thats why a program you dont use alot can take 2x as long to load as it would on 2k

give it a try i think you would find that gaming under 2k would be much more injoyable then the same situation under xp and if you need eyecandy in 2k check out the neowin forums there are lots of ways to make 2k prettyer if you must

2k's support life is longer then xp home last time i checked the life span thing on the ms site

and to linux rite like they wana have to learn to use linux get real once sombody makes linux as easy to learn as windows is (for the home user that is) then maby it will gain more support
and no i dont mean wizzards for everything

oh and once linux can play games as well as windows then i be willing to consider swiching

oh and when it comes to office products just get openoffice support is free online and so is the program
if ya need offical support then get star office its about $75:)

my self im running a offical corp disk of 2003 and loving it (pre-feching dissabled) its been converted to a desktop and works like a charm :)

ill update ya on my new rig this weekend

im replacing my mobo/cpu/hsf
trading my 2000+ palmino for a 1700+ tbred
and my k7vta3 (kt333) for an l7s7a2(sis746)

and agin dont blame the sis chipset if the board you have is a k7s5a i can help ya with perf issues also can dirrect ya to a place that can help alot including giving ya unlocked bios with all options open :)

gime some more info and ill see what i can do :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back