Suggestions on my new PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jkoXP, Oct 28, 2003.

1. jkoXP

jkoXP Guest

Just wonderng if this will be able to run HL2 and Doom III (I know the games aren't out yet, but a guesstamet) at max settings (1024x768 res)?

I want your suggestions on what else to get or more of.

Intel Pentium 4 (800 FSB) Motherboard Model D875PBZ
    P4 3.2GHz 512k cache, 800MHz FSB
    Crucial 512MB DDR 3200 (DDR 400)
    Case - Antec Performance One w/ 330 TruePower PSU
    Plextor DVD+- CD Burner
    Radeon 9800 128

I haven't bought this yet, but I will be in a few weeks.

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Looks good but you should of got a PRO Radeon.

3. Eck

Eck .user

I would get an Asus P4C800 rather than an Intel board. Intel doesn't let you overclock. I wouldn't get a 3.2GHz, but rather a 3.0GHz if you look at the price difference. Same chip, 200MHz isn't worth $100 to me. A Radeon 9800 Pro like snook said would be better.

4. sammy5gs

sammy5gs Ignorance Defined

Also, you may want to up the anty on the PSU. I am not sure 330w is going to do it for you. Again, if you overclock, the Asus P4C800 or Abit IC7/IS7 would be the ticket. You could soft-mod your 9800 to be a pro (search google for how to do that), but your PSU may jack you up at the wrong time. Get Antec 420 True Power....

5. jkoXP

jkoXP Guest

I'm not into overclocking so I'm sticking with the Intel board. The extra $100 isn't much to me either. I will get a bigger PS though. Not sure about the 420, wouldn't a TruePower 380 be enough?

6. Eck

Eck .user

I got my Antec True430 for $77. The True380 would probably do fine though.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

make sure you're getting two sticks of identical pc3200 to take advantage of dual-channel memory.

8. JKOXP, There are benefits to an Intel motherboard - visit Intel for the Application Accelerator program for the motherboard.

It installs a new system driver for the motherboard (which must be an Intel board - thus have an Intel chipset mounted) and this driver drastically increases your system speed no matter what hardware you have.

The new driver works by increasing the output\input speed between the processor, board and the hard disk, speeding access time between the three and can be found at
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/index.htm

Remember to download the Chipset Identifyication program prior to using IAA; if your system is not Intel chipset certified or the board you purchase is not yet available on IAA, you might have problems!

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

that can be used on the p4c800, ic7/is7, etc. just as long as it has an intel chipset. doesn't have to be manufactured by intel.

10. sammy5gs

sammy5gs Ignorance Defined

correct

11. Eck

Eck .user

I couldn't install it on my P4P800. :'(