Sufficient Rights??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi guys,

In the Disk Management tool, I am right-clicking=>properties on a partition, then trying to rename it. This now gives me an error message "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this action"
    I have renamed these partitions before this way. Is it something disabled in Services or in the Registry? The partitions are formatted NTFS and do have files in them.I also checked to see if I am still Aministrator, which I still am.

Thanks in advance....

Heeter

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Not sure. Have you tried renaming it in windows explorer?

3. Heeter

Thanks Hipster,

I just tried that. no luck.

Heeter

4. Hipster Doofus

Are you using any sort of tweak program? That might be stopping you.

5. Heeter

I am not using any tweak program, Hipster.

Heeter

6. Hipster Doofus

mmmmm what about using partition magic if you have it?

7. Heeter

I do not have Partition Magic. Hipster, do you think if I remove the files onto another partition, delete, reformat will I be able to rename this particular partition? I am thinking I won't have "authority" to do that as well. What do you think? I am still assuming that I disabled something in Services that I need. I could be barking up the wrong tree as well with the services idea.

Heeter

8. Hipster Doofus

If it's a logical partition you could try copying the files you want to another one then fromat the partition & rename it. If it will let you. But like you say it must be a service or something somewhere. Either wait till someone else shows up or bit the bullet. Depends how desperate you are to change the name. If it were me I would try waiting.

9. Heeter

Thanks, Hipster.

I will wait, no biggie for me to wait. Thanks, anyway.

Heeter

10. login as admin and try to change the drive name now. check if you have full right to the disk.
    Mbe it will work

11. Heeter

This is weird!!!

I am able to rename all my partitions except thed one I want to rename!! Funny, I guess.

I have 7 partitions between two HDD and only one partition I cannot rename!!! Any Help would be much appreciated.

Heeter

12. cashishift

cashishift Guest

is this partition the active one?

13. Heeter

How can I tell?

Doesn't say Active only healthy under the partition name. Is there another way to find out?

Heeter

14. Hipster Doofus

Active means the one your operating system is on & you are now booted into too, if using dual boot. Go back to computer management. It is all colour coded.
    Control panel/admin tools..............

15. Heeter

This partition here is the one that "My documents" opens up when I click on it in the start menu. I figured out what I can do to rename it. Right-click on "My Documents", properties, advanced, move folder to another partition. Now I am able to rename the partition. After, I move folder back. There must be an easier way. Oh well, I am sorry that I forgot to mention what folde was in there. Thanks for your help, Hipster.

Heeter

16. ignipotentis

ignipotentis OSNN Addict

Permissions as you said

Just becuase you are an administrator does not mean you have compleate control. However, you do have the athority to anex the drive. Under such circumstances, i would chek the file permissions associated with the drive or folders which reside on it. More times than not you will find only the system has the permissions to do anything. Just anex the folder by changing the permissions (giving yourlsef, or "everyone" if you want to make it easy) the correct permissions to perform actions on said drive.