stupid folder permissions

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Taurus, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

okay, i don't have any experience with permissions. i've been given the job of reformatting someone's computer that's fubar'd by viruses. most i've gotten rid of, but some i can't and many system files are beyond help. anyway, i have to retrieve a folder of all of the stuff she wants to keep off of the harddrive, but i can't access it unless i sign in as her on the infected comp. right now i am in safe mode on her computer, but it's seriously copying one picture every 2 seconds which means it will take a day or so. i would like to be able to remove the hd and plug it into another comp and scan/move files that way which would be safer and MUCH faster.

any tips?

PS. oh yeah, and explorer keeps crashing, so i have to babysit it and resume the folder moving. i NEED to do this on another comp.

2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

why not change the permissions?

where are you copying it to?
    so.. why not plug the drive into another computer as the second drive?
    Use robocopy - much better at copying large amounts of data - not the least of which is because when a copy fails, robocopy can pick up where it left off

Why not change the permissions, connect it to a private network with another machine and use robocopy to copy the files?

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Use a Linux liveCD (Ubuntu) to copy anything you want off the HD w/out having to worry about anything Windows. :)

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

because i don't know how. i poked around in the security and permissions tabs, but i don't see how to turn them off completely or allow everyone and their mother.

laptop hd via usb and then via sata. same speed in either case and cpu usage is pegged (safe mode) which is probably the reason.

that's my preferred method and the one i tried first, but when i try to access files in the folder, i get windows "access is denied" prompt. again, permissions.

i'll have to give it a try.

i'm a complete noob when it comes to linux, but i suppose this would be a good time to learn. :)

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

6. Xie

I'm willing to bet you'd be able to figure it out w/out much issues at all really. The drive should mount for you and then you just open up the drive and copy/paste just like on Windows. :) Anything you had issues with you could always Google or post here. ;)

7. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 Let's blow something up. Political User

Linux is great and all... but why all the fuss over something that should take around 30 seconds to figure out?

Go to security... advanced, owner.

Take ownership.

Go back to the advanced security, add yourself, put a check next to the option that says something like 'Apply to all child folders/objects'

Press ok.

Wait while permissions are set and then just copy your files.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

thanks. that what i wanted. :) too bad i ended up just copying everything in normal, non-safe mode with the av turned off. if any of her files are damaged, oh well.

9. Xie

My way only takes 30secs and doesn't put your system at anymore chance of deleting the very data your trying to recover. If you want to put your data at risk (thus negating your very purpose) then yes, your way is perfectly fine. :)