Streaming Video Connection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bman, Nov 25, 2011.

  1. Bman

    Bman OSNN Veteran Original

    Ottawa, Ontario
    A bit hard to explain.

    On the one side of my area I have my computer and monitor.

    The other side is my TV and consoles.

    I used to have them on the same side, and the TV was also connected to my computer with DVI-HDMI connection.

    I now want to be able to do the same thing but wireless.

    Is this possible? Is there some type of device/connection that can support proper resolutions and everything needed to do this? And is it expensive?

    (older system, older TV, don't have WiDi)
  2. Admiral Michael

    Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the TV doesn't have to support WiDi since you need a receiver box. Your PC would have to support WiDi tho.
  3. LeeJend

    LeeJend Moderator

    Fort Worth, TX
    There's a couple of different ways. You can use a USB dongle at the PC to transmit and then a box at the TV to receive - cheap, $100, but are generally poor quality and bandwidth limited. Then there are dedicated converters that make the HDMI into RF, transmit across the house and reconvert to HDMI - $300-600 for a decent one.

    Good luck, the industry is still in it's infancy and some vendors have already failed.

    Depending on how far you have to go there are also "premium cables" that are longer and repeater boxes boost the signal so you can use cable instead of wireless.