Strange windows magic

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
[FONT=&quot]MAGIC #1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as 'CON'. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't answer
why this happened!

TRY IT NOW ,IT WILL NOT CREATE ' CON ' FOLDER

MAGIC #2

For those of you using Windows, do the following:

1.) Open an empty notepad file

2.) Type 'Bush hid the facts' (without the quotes)

3.) Save it as whatever you want.

4.) Close it, and re-open it.

is it just a really weird bug? :-??

MAGIC #3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is something pretty cool and neat...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

It was discovered by a Brazilian. Try it out yourself...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Open Microsoft Word and type

=rand (200, 99)
And then press ENTER then see the magic...............................[/FONT]

Only 1 and 3 worked for me :)

Hehe they all worked for me! The second one
turned the words into about 8 weird bars
in case you wanted to know.

The first one clearly wasn't discovered by "an Indian" however, it was well known about by Microsoft who put in intentionally themselves. I can't remember why though :)

Anyway, cool post man. :)

i don't see that with the second one though - strange :p

is you capitilise 'Con' it comes out like this 'conr'

I got so curious I looked it up. Turns out there's a bunch of other words, too, on folders.

It's not that weird. 'con' is a reserved word from the old DOS days, simply meaning 'console'. If you wanted to create a new text file in DOS you could type 'copy con newfile.txt' meaning copy from the console to newfile.txt. This would let you type some lines and when you ended the file with ^Z (DOSish for 'end of file') you would have a file called newfile.txt containing whatever you wrote in the console. This is indeed still possible in the Windows XP console, and can you see what mess it would cause if you let files or folders have the name 'con'? What would 'copy con newfile.txt' then mean? BSOD?
Russ Watts confirms the suggestion, giving this list of other DOS devices that can't be used as folder names:
CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.

writes a few pages for you - number 2 doesn't do anything for me - just shows the line it tells you to put in - no quotes or anything

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back