strange problem....

pretty much what jumpy said. if you're looking at those mobo's, definitely get the Epox 8RDA as it's the only nforce2 board there. better chipset than the others which are kt333 and kt400.

and i found a 2200+ for $96 here.

welp...I am home now and have begun trouble shooting. I figgered out what the 3 beeps meant...in my case anyway...it means..HEY BONEHEAD...MAKE SURE THE MEMORY IS SEATED ALL THE WAY...man...I guess I knocked the first piece of memory loose when I was messing with it last night....It is now seated all the way and it came up fine on just that first 512 stick...but I added the second stick in the third dimm slot and when it booted up into windows xp...it bluescreened again...so...I have pulled out that second dimm and downloaded memtest86 and I am gonna run it on both sticks of memory just to be sure....

For a Great System board and Really good prices check out this site.
http://www.bzboyz.com/store/mb_epox.html

Were talking AMD's with the nforce2 Chipset rated to 400Mhz FSB.
EPOX board EP-8RDA+ *MAKE sure you looking under this model*

The KT333 is only 333Mhz also the KT400 is only to 333Mhz FSB(FYI).

On the memory price and brand question for me: www.pricewatch.com (I get the best deals from this site)
Check out the system memory section.

Corsair 512MB DDR PC2700 333MHz 64Mx64 NonECC 184 DIMM unbuffered CAS2.5 32Mx8 DRAM
http://www.neutronexpress.com/index.cfm?t=pif&id=194195
You buy 2 and it's free shiping @ 67 bucks a Chip

OCSystem PC3200 400MHz DDR achieve outrageous speeds exceeding 400 MHz at CL2.5. This memory surpasses even the newly adopted PC2700 standard. Lifetime Warrenty
+$10 for CAS 2 $66 each
http://www.ocsystem.com/oc51pc40ddrs.html

REMEMBER Shop around before you buy!!!

Originally posted by gballard
I have done some checking on PriceGrabber.com most of the day today...slow day at work..heh...and have found some motherboards, CPUs, and memory I might be interested in and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these products...you know.....ITS THE BEST!!! or AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Motherboards

MSI KT4VL $75.50
ABIT KX7-333R $91.00
ASUS A7V333-X $77.95
BIOSTAR M7VIP $60.00
EPOX EP8RDA $88.00
FIC AD11 $81.75
GIGABYTE GA-7VAXP $106.95
SHUTTLE AK35GT2 $68.00

DDR Memory

KINGSTON 512 MB PC2700 DDR DIMM $63.95
KINGSTON 512 MB HYPERX PC2700 DDR DIMM $75.00
CORSAIR 512 MB PC2700 DDR DIMM $74.00
CRUCIAL 512 MB PC2700 DDR DIMM $75.62

AMD CPU

XP 1700+ $69.45
XP 1800+ $64.00
XP 1900+ $85.50
XP 2000+ $88.90
XP 2100+ $102.00

Just looking for some opinions is all...any help would be appreciated.

I would go with the giga-byte GA-7vaxp I have this board runs smooth and all the reviews ive read about it sy its the most stable of all the KT400 boards (it doesn't over clock that well tho or so ive read) but my pc has yet to crash and its been on for about a month give or take a few days I also suggest any cpu that fits your buget since there all good. I noticed that crucial doesn't sell 3200 DDR for this board and I dunno why but it was there loss when I bought ram :p

Originally posted by Indomidable
For a Great System board and Really good prices check out this site.
http://www.bzboyz.com/store/mb_epox.html

Were talking AMD's with the nforce2 Chipset rated to 400Mhz FSB.
EPOX board EP-8RDA+ *MAKE sure you looking under this model*

The KT333 is only 333Mhz also the KT400 is only to 333Mhz FSB(FYI).

to bad AMD doesn't even make a CPU to support that yet, and I don't think the XP will ever go to 400fsb and Nforce 2 doesn't support the operton

nforce boards are good boards but are more money and don't have that much of a performance gain over the via boards. if your strapped for cash get a via board if not get an Nforce board.

i jsut made a pc with the
MSI KT4VL $75.50
AMD 2000+ chip and it is great, and there are some nice features witht he MSI boards that i like too the MIS mobo can go up to 400FSB so when the new chips in about a month or so come out it will work great with it.

that is my 2 cents

ok...I have gone back and re-thought this again...I got to looking at newegg.com and they seem to have very reasonable prices on the items I am considering...so I think I am gonna go with this...

Epox EP-8RDA+ $99.00
Corsair 512MB PC2700 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM $72.00
AMD XP 2200+ $96.00

I am not sure what type of cooler to buy for the processor though...any ideas?

naaa...never been much into over-clocking to be honest...I just want a faster...yet stable...machine

Originally posted by gballard
I currently have 2 drives in my machine and I am not sure if there is enough room to mount these coolers on the hard drives and then there be enough room to mount the hard drives again in the enclosure
if the harddrives are currently on top of each other, then no. you will need to arrange them so that there is one space in between them... not just for the cooler, but for air space for the cooler. you also have to consider if you'll be cooling both hd's or just one and if you'll have the cooler on top or bottom of it/them.

i haven't had any experince with either of those, but i'd probably spend the extra $3 for the one that actually says aluminum. no gaurantees on what the other is made out of. besides, it has 2 fans. and if it's too loud, you can run it at 7 or 5 volts instead of 12.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back