Strange Networking Issue

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Posted this over at www.planetamd64.com but thought I would echo it over here as it is something I want solved really, cos it is well annoying :)

When my inbound connection is completely maxxed out, which on my 2meg line may well be between 150-250kb/sec or a 240-260kb/sec download (ie last nights vista ctp) I have various connection issues that seem to occur.

I thought it may well have been Azureus hogging all these connections that I apparently increased to 600 (although I guess that makes no difference?) but as I was downloading Vista last night I noticed the same thing, the symptoms are:

- General connections are slow (but thats to be epxected if you are maxing things out!)
- Mail will not send in Outlook
- Uploading files to FTP will get stuck at 0.0kb with FlashFXP
- Submitting data in forms (usually my forum templates or news articles) will fail although the page will continue to redirect to the .php with no argument and the data won't be added (VERY frustrating)

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
If it helps I am using the onboard NVIDIA network connection, with the latest nforce drivers available. No firewall (well AVG but it was happening before I used that)

This did not used to happen on Windows XP 32bit, and stopped happening when I moved from x64 to x86, but I have migrated back again and it has once again started happening.

WOW, man EP when you get a problem you come up with a doozy.. Heh...

When you say general mail connections are slow, are you reffering to solely when you're DL'ing? IF, yes then the 2nd part "mail will not send in outlook"
is linked to the first... and you would be right something is hogging up what little bit of remaining bandwidth you got left.

Never used flashFXp...

Lastly, again sounds like not enough BW... or something hogging up the remainder...

First there have been many problems with your NVidia on-board network connection, but nothing this discriminate that I can recall...

Lastly, what TCP/IP stack tweaks have you done? I did a search and I found where you had posted the question of where they got the 600 value from on AMD planet. I would question that also... did you verify that was correct?

All I can think of right now... sorry this wont be much help, as Im sure you thought of all of this thus far...

Not sure if it's a viable option, or something you want to try, but perhaps it's a driver issue? Have you considered hooking up a PCI NIC, or perhaps a USB adapter for testing?

Won't use a USB nic on principle and don't have the time to add another PCI nic.

It isn't my ISP because I can actually disable the nic connectio, re-enable and it will be fine until it gets bunged up again.

Even when I close Azureus or finish my download it still remains clogged.

Does it only happen after large downloads using Azureus? or normal http downloads as well? Mine does become slow when using Azureus even if its not using all the bandwidth sometimes. could be a leak with Azureus, not closeing connections or somethign. Make shure its shut down properly

Yeah, reducing it may make the difference, you are referring to the bit where nil mentions that the half open connections limit prevents your computer from opening too many connections too fast ...

Seems like it's worth a try.

Well that post explains that it isn't limited your maximum connections and therefore isn't speed limited.

I experience alot of thse errors with the backend of osnn, obviously because I use it so much so was asking X if we had problems with requests being lost!

Will try manually setting duplexing and reducing the connections back to 10 (will have to go higher tho as I will break that limit just browsing the web)

Khayman said:
Does it only happen after large downloads using Azureus? or normal http downloads as well? Mine does become slow when using Azureus even if its not using all the bandwidth sometimes. could be a leak with Azureus, not closeing connections or somethign. Make shure its shut down properly

Just after any extended period of time really, never really seen how long it takes. Thats why using Lavasoft firewall was interesting as you could see every single connection - wnder if outpost is on x64 yet :)

I'll try forcing a download of the 64bit vista tonight and seeing if I can get the problem going again.

The only things firewalls are good for are:
-Protecting your personal data, financial accounts and passwords from being stolen.
-Keeping strangers from running illegal email spam sites from your personal computer over your internet account.
-Keeping strangers from destroying your data and PC setup.
-Keeping strangers from identifying your computer over the internet.

Aside from that they are a waste of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back