Stopping Windows Protection

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hipster Doofus, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

OK i'm trying to hack a file which I am having trouble doing. Everytime I hack it & then replace it in windows the system straight away with no option to stop it put the original back. How can I stop windows from protecting files?

2. Burpster

Burpster Guest

changing it to read only has worked for me in the past

3. Hipster Doofus

No go. I think I'm doing it right. I'm using reshacker & save/save as. When I replace the file I end up with the changes being restored & also another file created called sysdm.cpl_original along with sysdm.cpl.

4. Hipster Doofus

That'll be right. :rolleyes: I was trying to change the original file not a copy. Once I used the copy & then replaced the original all was well. :) Thanx.

5. zalood

zalood OSNN Addict

Found this on my hard disk which I'm sure I saved it from this forum, assuming you are hacking Explorer.exe:

With SP1 and System Restore on, you might also find the file in the following folders:
    %systemroot%/LastGood/system32 and
    %systemroot%/ServicePckFiles/i386

6. zalood

zalood OSNN Addict

Oops . . a bit late.

7. Hipster Doofus

Nope not too late zalood. I'm trying to hack the sysdm.cpl file you taked about in the system properties thread. On the copy of that file I have made the changes I want. When I replace it in system32 if I open it straight away it is changed. If I close it then open it again it is back to original. Very frustrating.
    Oh & btw I didn't have that tweak for file protection. Must go see what is what. I don't have any of those other folders but might try a search & see what comes up.

8. Hipster Doofus

I edited the hidden xml file to exclude the one I'm trying to change. Same result. :(

9. Hipster Doofus

At last. Finally got it. The dllcache was hidden also. The file was also in there. DOH!