Stop message in Start Up.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mick42, Jan 16, 2002.

1. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

I get a message on start up telling me windows has stopped loading because a problem has been detected etc.This is intermittent.It says to check the Stop message etc.This is what I get,Tech Info:OxOOOOOO7E(OxcOOOOOo5,OxF9733A78,OxF9E84810,OxF9E84510).I have not got a clue what this means and where to start,any ideas anyone?
    Mick.

2. wassup_ken

wassup_ken Guest

go to start/run and type 'msconfig' go to the startup tab, and see if there are any new things or things that look like errors on there, and uncheck them

3. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

Stop Message

Looked in Start Up(msconfig),5 items as follows.
    Systray.....................Systray.Exe
    Navapw 32...............C:\Progra~1\Nort
    Iamapp.....................C:\Program Files\Nort
    LV Coms...................C:\Program Files\Com
    Ctf Mon.....................C:\Windows\System
    I think LV Coms (Logitech Quick Cam) is the one that maybe playing up,I had alot of trouble with it before,I have got latest drivers for it.I also unchecked it and on restarting got same error message as before.I dont know what Ctf Mon is.I think I will uninstall the Logitech Cam and see whay happens.One other thing, in Event Viewer I have red error messages under systems and the event is something called acpi?Any more suggestions.
    Cheers,Mick.

4. wassup_ken

wassup_ken Guest

ctfmon is some MS office thing

5. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

More Info

I have more info from Event Viewer,I right click on the error message and under properties is the following message:AMLI:ACPI Bios is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address(Oxcf8),which lies in the Oxcf8-Oxcff protected address range.This could lead to system instability.Hope this can shed some light on this problem.
    Cheers,Mick.

6. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

Getting Desperate

Just got in from work,switched on comp and got Error message up again.I uninstalled Quick Cam as I said in earlier post but seems to have had no effect,any more ideas anyone,anywhere.
    Mick.

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

8. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

On right track

I do have a Logitech Cordless Keyboard and it was recognised as being incompatible in XP.I have just downloaded latest software from Logitech site,I will let you know how I get on.In Hardware tab/Device Manager it is not there it just says generic keyboard.
    Cheers.
    Mick.

9. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

The Latest.

Still throwing up error message,checked event viewer again at the time of the error and same thing about the ACPI attempting to write to an illegal port address.This issue is in the Mircosoft support site and advises to update the BIOS as stated in an earlier reply.This is beyond me, would not know where to start,I will have to take PC to shop where I had it made.
    Cheers.Mick.

10. cychem

cychem Guest

Hi Mick,

I think most likely you have a BIOS issue. Something is try to load into a protected memory space. Could you give a detailed description of your hardware and software? Updating a BIOS is not that difficult basically all you have to do is create a floppy and type a few commands save your money. It depends on the BIOS most web sites have detailed instructions, follow them exactly.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade to XP? I personally have never seen an upgrade that worked.

Another way to findout the culprit is go to a bare bones config:

Motherboard
    Video Card
    RAM
    Floppy
    Hard drive
    CDROM

Format your drive and reinstall XP. If you still get the error message then it is most likely your BIOS and you will have to update. If not get the system up and running and install hardware one a a time untill the error reappears.

Hope this helps

11. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

Reply to Cychem

Thanks for the reply,I think I will format and do a clean install and update BIOS.It was an upgrade from Win98.Here is a list of hardware/software.
    1Ghz Athlon
    Abit KT7 mobo
    Hercules 3D Prophet 11 MX g/card
    Sound Blaster PCI 64 s/card
    Pioneer DVD player
    56K Rockwell/HCFmodem
    Logitech Cordless Keyboard
    Microsoft Cordless Mouse
    Logitech Web Cam(uninstalled)
    Belkim USB Hub (Uninstalled)
    HP 695c Printer
    HP 4400c Scanner
    256 Mb Ram
    40Ghz(20-20 Partitioned)
    Norton Internet Security 2002
    " Antivirus "
    Microsoft Office 2000
    Cyberlink Power DVD
    Logitech Itouch Software
    Quicktime 5.01
    Realtplayer 7
    Tweak XP
    Acrobat 5
    Winzip 8
    Regcleaner.
    I think thats it,I will let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Mick.

12. mick42

mick42 OSNN Addict

Success

At long last,updated BIOS,error message gone,thanks to all who posted suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Mick.