Steve Yzerman retires

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Its a Sad Day here in Detroit. "The Captain" has called it a career.

Via Detroit Free Press
Center Steve Yzerman, a Red Wing since 1983 and their captain since 1986, announced Monday afternoon that he had retired from playing hockey.

“I feel very relieved and very comfortable,” Yzerman said at a news conference at Joe Louis Arena. “I want to let everyone know I’ve decided to retire, to hang up my skates.”

Yzerman said that going into the 2005-06 season he figured it would be his last. But he said he thought long and hard after the season before deciding not to return for one more.

“I really enjoyed my final season with the Red Wings,” he said.

He summed up his long tenure this way:

“I’ve enjoyed my career immensely in Detroit.”

Wings legends Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay and several of Yzerman’s teammates attended the afternoon news conference. So did Wings owner Mike Ilitch.

Yzerman played 22 seasons — all in Detroit. He leaves as the longest-serving captain in NHL history. He ranks sixth all-time in points (1,755), seventh in assists (1,063) and eighth in goals (692). He played in 1,514 games.

Last edited:
Can't really say I'm surprised, because I'd be lying :eek:

One of the greatest players in recent times though, the game will miss him.

As much as I can't stand the Red Wings, I always had much respect for "The Captain." He will be missed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back