steam questions

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by a dreams forever, Jun 8, 2005.

1. a dreams forever

a dreams forever OSNN Addict

k. I reformated my computer. do I have to re-install the HL cd? or just download steam and enable the games there? if so. do they remember my e-mail address and know what games I own? or do I have to re-enter my cd key?

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Your games are linked to your steam account (CDKEY and all). If its HL2 I would suggest just using the CDs since it would be a 4GB download.

3. a dreams forever

ok I guess it remembers the cd key cause all I did was type my account in and it lets me install. but when CS is done installing. onlything that comes up is counter-strike source in the servers window. wtf. and when I try to connect to a server. nothing happens. it just sits there trying to connect. then retries. then nothing.

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Check the Monitor, although the game thinks it has 100% (that is has 100% to launch) it is still actually downloading more files, so be patient, just let it run in the background.

5. a dreams forever

ahh that is exactly what happened. but now when I try to play it. it takes a long time "precaching files". alot longer than it used to. is this cause I just downloaded it off steam and didnt install through the cd? or what? also. the screens out of game. options, servers, connecting screen is a little wavy. it looks like my monitor is getting ready to die. but it doesnt do it anywhere else. just some games. is this my graphic card dying? is there any program out there that lets you test your graphic card to see if its dying or not?

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Well, recently Steam/Valve has not required me to enter my cd key after having formatted my drive and re-installing the HL2+Steam programs.

7. a dreams forever

ahh I had virus protection running. could that be why it took so long to load?

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Not really.. Depends on your drive and cpu. It has taken upto 20mins for steam to decrypt the files on my machine before. :p

9. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Once you get all your games back in and up to date you should back them up through the Steam back up tool.

So next time you do not have to download all the GCF files again. :up:

10. a dreams forever

for some reason. now. it works fine. like it did before. the screen is still waving in any game I play though heh. only at the menus though. oh well. if my card dies, it dies. it's only a $90 card hah.